Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena inserted 6 weeks ago but still bleeding!

(15 Posts)
MyBeloved Sat 10-Sep-16 11:32:05

Hi all
Posted in contraception but copied in here as more traffic....

Not a heavy flow, but enough to need a pad rather than a liner. It just hasn't stopped. It's bright red and really getting on my nerves (and my husband's). Also have had 2 bouts of thrush and what I believe to be small cysts sad also have deep pain for a day or so after sex!
Definitely not what I was expecting. Am considering having the damn thing removed.
Any experiences of the above sorting itself out?
TIA

SueDunome Sat 10-Sep-16 11:33:49

Have you been back to your GP for post-fitting check yet? Mention your concerns then.

lisaneedsarest Sat 10-Sep-16 11:38:24

I didn't stop bleeding while on the mirena, I had it for a year, it was never a proper period but I didn't have a day where there was no blood either! I waited for a year as Drs etc said it would settle, I took the pill while on it to sort my period out, they went back to normal while I was on the pill but the bleeding everyday started again as soon as I stopped taking the pill. I also ended up having migraine with aura while I had it in. Progesterone only contraception really doesn't agree with me! This might not happen to you as so many women are completely satisfied with it, but just thought I'd give you my experience.

MyBeloved Sat 10-Sep-16 17:34:09

Seeing the doc this coming week so will definitely mentioneberything then - just useful to hear other's experiences.

Not sure I could take a year of this!

ChipInTheSugar Sat 10-Sep-16 17:37:53

I bled to some degree (liner not pad-worthy) for almost six months. I think that's what was said in the leaflet. Since then though I've hardly had a period in probably 5 years. Just the way different bodies react I guess.

Cel982 Sat 10-Sep-16 17:40:29

For the vast majority of people the bleeding will settle after a few months, and most are really happy with the lack of periods after that. I would try to give it another 6 weeks anyway and see if it settles down.

Gatekeeper Sat 10-Sep-16 17:42:04

I had a continuous period with mine for nearly a year with no let up. That and the horrendous pmt was enough to get me back to the family planning clinic and have it removed

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:24:52

I have just stopped spotting after having the Mirena fitted in April...so hope it doesn't start up again!

MyBeloved Sun 11-Sep-16 20:20:19

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Did any of you suffer with thrush afterwards?

Gatekeeper Mon 12-Sep-16 05:56:01

Yes, I got thrush and awful twanging pains in my cervix. Bloody pleased to get shot of it!

LavenderRains Mon 12-Sep-16 08:41:59

Hi I bled for 6 months. Mostly wore just a liner as it wasn't heavy, just annoying.
But since then, no periods at all (ocassional 1 day spotting once a year!)
Never had any thrush or pain but have never been able to feel the strings.
The Dr says they are there, my cervix is just at a funny angle hmm

biscuitz72 Mon 12-Sep-16 09:10:00

I had the mirena fitted in Feb this year and I'm still bleeding. I might have the odd day or 2 without (maybe a week, if I'm lucky), but I've been bleeding for 90% or more of the time since then. I had other procedures done at the same time, (biopsy and lasering away endometriosis deposits), so I don't know if that's contributed to it. After a few months, I did ring up and ask if it was normal, and I was told I could bleed for upto 6 months before it settles down.

I was never told, or asked back, for a check up to make sure it's fitted well, so I've seen no one since. All I received was a discharge from her clinic. I wouldn't have known I should've been seen, if I hadn't just read it on here. Or is that not normal procedure?

LavenderRains Mon 12-Sep-16 17:08:49

I never went back for a check up. I mentioned to GP that I couldn't feel the string when I went for a prescription check.
The clinic never mentioned a checkup.

MyBeloved Mon 12-Sep-16 18:39:37

Thanks for the responses.
Afaik it's normal practise to go back at 6 weeks to make sure all is as it should be. In fact, I was told by my consultant not to rely on the mirena for contraception purposes until I'd had my review! If you haven't had one, might be worth asking to get it checked - especially if you're still bleeding.

The flip side to the negative effects I'm having is that it seems to all but got rid of the crippling intra-menstrual cramps...

DramaAlpaca Mon 12-Sep-16 18:43:49

I had bleeding for about three months and since then none at all. I didn't have any of your other symptoms though. Hope it settles down for you soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now