Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Going to GP re my lost pelvic floor

(11 Posts)
jumpandleak Fri 09-Sep-16 05:52:28

I'm going to bite the bullet and go.
Reading up I seem to have both types of leaking: from running and sneezing but also 'key in the door I've got to go'.

I've tried endless pelvic floor exercises without much success and am now using Tena everyday.

I'm 50, not overweight and quite sporty.

What do you think the GP might suggest?

JellyMouldJnr Fri 09-Sep-16 06:07:48

I had this after my kids. I got a referral to a physio who gave me a device that toned up the pelvic floor muscles <cough>.

Myfirstbornisacollie Fri 09-Sep-16 06:12:39

Take a sample so it can be tested and UTI excluded. Referral for pelvic physio is an option, they might offer you a trial of medication for the urgency symptoms- something like vesicare is likely to help but won't fix the stress (cough/sneeze) symptoms

jumpandleak Fri 09-Sep-16 06:26:59

Thank you.
A physio would be a great starting point. I'd imagined some sort of hospital appointment with invasive tests.

AveEldon Fri 09-Sep-16 06:29:05

Women's health physio will probably be your first option - they can check you are doing your exercises correctly

Knottyknitter Fri 09-Sep-16 06:45:02

Take a sample as they'll want to rule out a low grade infection first.

Need to document 3 months of physio with no improvement if the stress incontinence before thinking of surgery.
You might need urodynamic testing too as mixed picture, but there's a wait for that so likely to start excerises first anyway.

Jumpandleak Fri 09-Sep-16 07:07:11

Have googled urodynamics, that does not look fun.
Keen to try physio first.

worldsworstchildren Fri 09-Sep-16 10:49:22

Urodynamics is not fun but well worth having done.... the nurse has seen and done it all before so are usually bright and breezy about it.
Be warned that you may also have internal 'physio' which I found made me quite shaky afterwards.
Worth getting sorted though. I had op in the end about four years ago and it's been the best thing ever. Never realised until afterwards how much it had affected my life.

Tanfastic Fri 09-Sep-16 11:19:29

I've recently been examined as I thought I may have a bladder prolapse. I'd had a UTI for weeks that wasn't shifting. Turns out I do have what they've described as a slight bladder prolapse but haven't mentioned anything other than pelvic floors at present.

I agree take a first wee of the day sample with you.

The examination wasn't at all bad by the way.

Jumpandleak Fri 09-Sep-16 14:18:00

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm
glad I'm not alone blush

carefulcharlie Fri 09-Sep-16 18:42:43

You're definitely not alone!! This is a common issue but just because it's common does not make it normal. It can be fixed. Definitely see your GP and consider some pelvic floor restoring exercises, such as those offered by Holistic Core Restore. The feedback from previous participants has been amazing. If you're in the Wandsworth/Balham area I have a new class starting next week
( www.elizadoalot.com/pages/Holistic-core-restore )
or you can find your nearest coach on their website holisticcorerestore.com.

Good luck!

In health star
Eliza

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now