Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent! Any medic / practice nurse out there to help with some advice?

(13 Posts)
goldielookingchain Fri 09-Sep-16 05:49:22

Currently abroad on Greek island of Rhodes. Last night my 3 yr old was either bitten or scratched by a wild restaurant cat this evening. It happened so quick I'm not sure which. He's got 4 symmetrical puncture type wounds to his forearm. No pain, fever or any symptoms. Went to pharmacy but it was late and the one lady left working just kinda shrugged her shoulders. Do I need to take him to the hospital for vaccines or antibiotics? X

Whateveryouwannacallme Fri 09-Sep-16 06:22:12

I am not a medic but have had many a scratch / bite form cats as I have ex feral rescue cats .

Cat bites can get infected more than just about any other animals other than human but I am not sure if a doc would give precautionary antibiotics if there are no signs of infection.

Puncture wounds are more liable to it as any germs taken into anaerobic conditions that they love so def keep careful eye on it. I usually make sure bites in particular bleed a bit to "wash out" anything in there and wash scratches well.

I hope dc remains well ... any signs you mention get straight to doc tho. Rabies is rare in cats in Greece (1 case in 25 years) so I would not worry about that. Enjoy your holiday

goldielookingchain Fri 09-Sep-16 06:28:42

Thank you so much thats reassuring X

chocolatewine Fri 09-Sep-16 06:32:12

I'm in Athens and I could ask at my friendly pharmacy, if you like? If she suggests anti-biotics I'll ask which ones. (often sold over the counter here)

popthisoneout Fri 09-Sep-16 06:36:47

Yes I would get him seen. It sounds like a bite, so they will probably prescribe prophylactic antibiotics and he may need a tetanus jab if he's not had his pre-school booster.

Agree with washing the wound and keeping it clean. A savlon Iodine spray or chlorhexidine wound spray will help.

InTheDessert Fri 09-Sep-16 06:38:02

No experience of Greece, but again, I deal with feral cats.
I don't think you need anything specific at this point. Wash it well - with soap. And if you can get your hands on some antiseptic cream, or iodine, applying that would be a good precaution.

If it gets very red, swollen, or pus-y go back and see someone.

RainbowInACloud Fri 09-Sep-16 06:44:22

Hi, GP here. Yes you need antibiotics and to check where he's up to with tetanus. I guess he'll have had 3 doses as a baby. There are 5 vaccines in total. I think you should seek advice- see a dr if possible.

EffieIsATrinket Fri 09-Sep-16 06:45:57

I'd always prescribe ABx for a cat bite esp if puncture wounds.

CPtart Fri 09-Sep-16 07:07:01

The pre school tetanus booster is usually given at 3.4 years and upwards, although immunity wanes from this age, it doesn't just 'switch off'. If he's had it already he will be ok. If not it depends how much longer you're out there. I'd be wanting him to get a tetanus booster if needed within a few days so either consider getting it done there or immediately when home. Keep any documentation and ask for packaging etc to bring back if he is vaccinated out there, so GP/nurse is sure of what has been given.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:24:30

I would seek medical advice, these are the NHS guidelines for rabies:

seek immediate medical advice if you're worried that you or your child may have been bitten, scratched or licked by an animal while abroad, or if you're bitten or scratched by a bat in any country, including the UK.

I know it is rare but if there is any chance, you dont want to risk it

goldielookingchain Fri 09-Sep-16 13:21:22

Thanks sorry about late response. He's up to date with immunisation, wound kept very clean today although he has been in sea lots. No pain to area. He's symptomless. Will go and see a pharmacist when we walk into town. If you could ask your local pharmacy that would be great. Thanks very very much xx

goldielookingchain Fri 09-Sep-16 13:32:33

Thanks sorry about late response. He's up to date with immunisation, wound kept very clean today although he has been in sea lots. No pain to area. He's symptomless. Will go and see a pharmacist when we walk into town. If you could ask your local pharmacy that would be great. Thanks very very much xx

chocolatewine Sat 10-Sep-16 06:01:17

Local pharmacist recommended you go to a local drop in health centre or ask at the chemists shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now