Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Caring for friend post-surgery

(2 Posts)
user1467125853 Tue 06-Sep-16 18:18:11

My friend is staying with me after she goes for surgery. She is having a fairly large tumour removed from her breast. I am working from home to look after her but I haven't looked after someone before post-surgery! Does anyone have any tips for me? I am providing a nice clean bed, and have gotten in ritz crackers & ginger ale in case of nausea. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

EmmaMacgill Tue 06-Sep-16 18:27:49

She'll feel increadibly tired if she's had a general anasthetic, it takes ages to wear off completely. She'll be very sore and is likely to feel highly emotional too.
Let her get plenty of rest, nothing to mentally taxing so TV programmes rather than films, magazines rather than books.
Her appetite may also be low as it can affect your sense of taste.
Mophine and strong painkillers will make her feel constipated so plenty of fruit and gentle laxatives.
I hope you have enjoy your time together, she's lucky to have such a lovely friend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now