Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

UTI/Cystitis symptoms

(15 Posts)
TopazRocks Sun 04-Sep-16 16:40:46

I've had symptoms like frequency, urgency, pain on and off for a bit over a week. I drink lots of water and it settles, then comes back. it's back today; yesterday it was okay. Usually when I've had this before - maybe 10 times in almost 40 years of adulthood - it either clears up with copious water, or it develops quite quickly into pyelonephritis so that I have fever, rigor, vomiting, etc. as well as the above list. Partly this is why I've not been to see a GP yet, cos it goes away, and I see enough of these docs already as I have various other problems. Because I am not acutely ill I think I shouldn't bother the doctor. Has anyone had an on/off UTI and should I bother the doctor??????

ChickyDuck Sun 04-Sep-16 16:53:38

Yes you should! I had exactly that, finally went after a few weeks as it wasn't going away, and I had a kidney infection that needed super sting antibiotics!

TopazRocks Sun 04-Sep-16 17:04:13

Really? Yet i feel okay - obvs a bit tedious going to the loo all the time and it hurts to pee but otherwise no pain. oh dear. DH will say 'I told you so' (he doesn't hesitate with bothering the doc - he's an untypical man!)

TopazRocks Sun 04-Sep-16 17:07:56

You'd never believe I used to work in urology (nurse) - though patients tended to have had their diagnosis when i met them. I will phone GP in the morning. I suppose being on an immuno-suppressant AND a TCA (so very thirsty) might be relevant. <suitably chastened>

ChickyDuck Sun 04-Sep-16 17:15:12

Obviously it's your call, but following my experience I definitely would!

ChickyDuck Sun 04-Sep-16 17:15:33

And obviously *strong

TopazRocks Sun 04-Sep-16 17:19:52

No, no, Chicky, I am grateful for your reply and I will d/w a doctor. i just wasn't sure it was necessary to take it seriously and needed to be told.

ChickyDuck Sun 04-Sep-16 17:44:47

Ahhhh I didn't mean to come across all offended!! Was just reiterating to make sure you were looking after yourself smile

Miiaaoow Mon 05-Sep-16 15:47:40

A undertreated UTI led to me developing interstitial cystitis. Please send a (concentrated, preferably early morning) urine sample into your GP. You don't even need to book an appointment at my surgery.

Do it.

TopazRocks Tue 06-Sep-16 17:10:30

.... and, tada, I have a course of antibiotics. Feeling a bit better already. Thanks for the concern, both of you. And I am sorry, Miiaaooow, to hear you have IC. I hope it's not too awful for you.

lazydog Wed 07-Sep-16 05:18:12

...a bit over a week

I've always been told (and so far it's been right, in my limited experience) that the majority of UTIs will resolve within 4 ( miserable sad ) days. If it hangs around for any longer than that, or you get other symptoms that would indicate progression to a kidney infection (i.e. fever, back pain, blood (doh - obviously!)) then you probably do need to go to the GP.

lynn09 Wed 07-Sep-16 08:44:15

I'd recommend that you talk to your doctor. The UTI is supposed to be pretty fast healing, you shouldn't be having a lot of trouble.

TopazRocks Wed 07-Sep-16 23:31:14

Hello there smile. Thanks for your concern. I am midway through a course of antibiotics and feeling better already. It was a weird one this time as previous UTIs HAVE developed into kidney infection/Pyelonephritis, and that didn't happen this time. It was due to the on/off nature of it that I doubted its seriousness. I do know that I need to be more sensible in future, esp as I am immuno-compromised blush (due to meds I take for an unrelated problem. It's possible as an ex-nurse that I am a bit 'if I,m still upright, I must be fine'. I see a GP early next week about one of my chronic things - I can d/w him if necessary, but I expect the UTI will be history by then. Certainly hope so!

Miiaaoow Thu 08-Sep-16 22:01:24

Thanks Topazrocks - I'm not doing too badly atm, but it's not something i'd wish on anyone. So whenever people get UTI's, I'm always pushing them too go to the docs asap!!

Glad the antibiotics are helping you smile

Miiaaoow Thu 08-Sep-16 22:02:05

*to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now