Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need to have a tooth extracted and terrified!!!

(14 Posts)
Governoress86 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:05:33

Hello everyone

I need to have my upper molar next to my wisdom tooth extracted but i am terrified.

I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and would have to pay for sedation which i can not afford.

I had a wisdom tooth extracted 6 years ago and it wasnt pleasant. I have cancelled 2 appointments to have it extracted as im too scared.

The thing im most scared off is how long it will take and if i cant stop the bleeding afterwards ( i know im being stupid) but read horror stories of people dying and bleeding loads.

I have opted for local without the adrenaline as dont want to start a panic attack if i feel my heart race.

I know im veing pathetic but would like some advice on how to conquer my fear and get it over with.

Many thanks in advance.

RiverTam Tue 30-Aug-16 19:09:16

I had it done recently and I won't lie, it was pretty hideous, but bleeding afterwards wasn't a problem.

Governoress86 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:46:41

Did you bleed much?

fleur34 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:49:48

I had this done. I really didn't bleed that much, and the tooth it was sore but not unbearable afterwards. I had mine done on 16 December and was able to eat Xmas dinner no probs!!

I am quite nervous of dentists so my dentist recommended I was sedated - I had to go to a special dentist who offered this service and it cost bloody loads (grr) but it was worth it - best.nap.ever!! And good to just come round and have no recollection of the experience! And it was really absolutely fine afterwards in terms of pain etc. Could you see if that would be an option for you?

Good luck xxxx

AnneGables Tue 30-Aug-16 19:52:06

Dh had an emergency extraction last week, it ended up being an emergency as he left it so long, due to a dentist phobia.

He actually didn't find it too bad in the end, he was in quite a bit of pain once the anaesthetic wore off, but painkillers worked well at keeping it at bay. There was no blood on the pad after a few hours and not much at all anyway.

By the next day it just felt a bit tender. Mouths do generally heal very quickly.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:52:37

I had the same tooth removed, it was absolutely afterwards, no bleeding or infection or even much pain, but honest to god the memory of him extracting the tooth will be with me til my dying day. Teeth aren't meant to come out, the roots are firmly anchored into the jawbone, I distinctly remember the dentists foot by my head as he twisted and turned the pliars. Haunting stuff!

Whatabloodyidiot1 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:53:32

Meant to say absolutely fine afterwards!!

qazxc Tue 30-Aug-16 20:04:08

Just had a wisdom tooth extracted Friday. It wasn't painful, you feel tugging and isn't the most comfortable thing in the world but ok. Afterwards I was asked to bite down on a piece of gauze for 15/20 mins and that was it. The gauze was bloody but no massive bleeding. After pains are bearable with other the counter painkillers (I'm using ibuprofen and paracetamol) .

Governoress86 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:19:00

Thank you so much for the replies....im more worried about the bleeding and infection afterwards.

I have read horror stories on google which i know i shouldnt do.

My dentist also wants to do a filling on a tooth when i have my tooth extracted which concerns me as i want to be out of there as soon as really

NoahVale Tue 30-Aug-16 20:21:37

i went to GP and got diazepam, can you do this?

Badders123 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:31:44

I had an emergency extraction a few months ago (failed filling and then failed root canal caused abcesses sad)
It was fine
The numbness lasted a long time and a top for the bleeding - bits on a tampon grin

Badders123 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:37:01

Tip;
Bite on a tampon

qazxc Wed 31-Aug-16 08:05:18

The bleeding was very slight in my case. As for infection / cleaning they said to have saltwater mouth rinse the day after and brush teeth as normal.

OhMyWord16 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:38:22

Ask your dentist to refer you to the nearest hospital oral surgery department, for extraction with IV sedation.
You won't have to pay but you may have to wait a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now