Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

could this be IBS?

(9 Posts)
2014newme Tue 30-Aug-16 18:24:17

Hi,
hoping someone can had to literally run . I get an upset stomach, diarrhoea, quite easily usually couple times per month.
3 times recently though I have had very bad episode.
1 - on holiday abroad, out for dinner at Disneyworld, after dinner had to literally run for loo spent 2 hours in there, dh didn't know where I had gone and there was no phone signal so it was a very bad evening. he had gone into a shop with kids came out I had disappeared. eventually managed to find eachother and he went to chemist and got me immodium. had upset tummy for a few days after and one other bad evening episode.

2 - on holiday in uk, a rich meal in evening, threw up straight after.
before journey.

3- on holiday in uk this week. took immodium night before 4 hour jpurney just in case. out for dinner first night, thai food ,went to loo in restaurant all fine. got outside had urgent need to go again ran into a pub where I spent next hour on loo. despite taking immodium night before?

spent rest of holiday dosed up on immodium and pepto bismol. came home today dosed up for journey back

supposed to met friends tomorrow in a park with no loo, have 2 dinners out this week. very anxious. so far I have been with dh but anxious about getting sudden diarrhoea in wider company and just generally anxious about being away from a toilet.

going to dr this week

could it be ibs? or something else?
any tips on managing the situation and the anxiety?

all these incidents have been in evening, on holiday, immediately after a meal in a restaurant - but like I say I do suffer with milder incidents generally and always have immodium (except that bloody time in Disney when I had a different bag with me).
getting quite stressed about this :-(

appreciate your help
I also suffer with migraines and people here were helpful

2014newme Tue 30-Aug-16 18:27:35

hoping someone can help that should have said, apologies for poor OP!

HmmmHashtag Tue 30-Aug-16 18:31:28

It could be IBS but really you need to see your GP to check and rule out other stuff.
Anxiety can cause diahorrea as well though so you can often end up with a vicious circle. Notably though you seem to get these episode after eating out? Maybe rich food, an intolerance or alcohol are factors??

Icantstopeatinglol Tue 30-Aug-16 18:34:38

Hi op, could be ibs or could be an intolerance of some kind. I've had ibs for years and it alternates between constipation and diarrhoea. I think the fact it's after meals could point towards an intolerance but your first step would be the gp.

GourmetGold Tue 30-Aug-16 18:36:25

Hi, it sounds to me like it could be something like gluten intolerance. Both my MIL and partner have suffered with those symptoms and for my partner he realised it was Gluten, after cutting it out and symptoms going away. My MIL was diagnosed with Celiac disease.

FaithAscending Tue 30-Aug-16 18:41:50

Definitely go to the GP. My friend had similar symptoms, especially when she had dietary changes and it turned out she has coeliac disease. IBS is an 'exclusion diagnosis' so it's only given if they've excluded other conditions such as coeliac, IBD, crohns. Initial blood tests will give an indication so don't panic about invasive investigations.

orangebobble Tue 30-Aug-16 18:59:39

As far as I'm aware (as a sufferer myself), IBS doesn't cause vomiting. Sounds more like a food intolerance of some kind.

2014newme Tue 30-Aug-16 19:14:59

Thanks going to gp Thursday I hope (have to book appointments on the day).
Think will not attend Park meet up tomorrow need to let all the meds I have been taking wear off a bit and don't want to do that in a place with no loos.

2014newme Thu 01-Sep-16 11:35:11

Ok so blood tests booked but can't get slot for them for two weeks.
Dr very sympathetic and nice.
Cancelled yesterday's plans now wondering about the weekend
Symptoms continue.
Fed up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now