Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Muscle knots in back

(8 Posts)
fruityb Mon 29-Aug-16 22:06:12

I have suffered with these through pregnancy, though not for a while. However I've developed one in my back halfway down on one side. I am currently recovering from a c section last Thursday and this knot hurts more than any of that business. It's debilitating in all honesty. My OH is quite sporty and has had a good go on it this evening as he has massages quite a lot and sorted it for me before, but sweet Jesus the pain is vile! Is there anything I can do myself to try and unknot this? It hurt so bad I had to sit down earlier as I was trying to brush my teeth and couldn't. I've put deep freeze gel on it when I can put this is a mask rather than a treatment. I'm going to get a massage done I think but any help is welcome.

I think I just need it pummelling by someone but any suggestions in the meantime?

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 29-Aug-16 22:23:11

Are you sure it's just a muscle knot? Please ensure its not a blood clot as you've had major surgery recently.

fruityb Mon 29-Aug-16 22:46:19

I've had them before and know the feeling.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 30-Aug-16 21:37:57

Fair enough! Have you tried sitting with a rolling pin in that area?

DontAskIDontKnow Wed 31-Aug-16 15:44:25

Put a tennis ball between you and the wall. You can then massage it yourself.

It sounds like you have a tight psoas muscle. Most people do. It's all the sitting we do. It might be also pulling on your quadratus lomburium (sp?), which is a bit higher up. Pregnancy might have made it worse with the additional load. Having a c section and the loss of abdominal strength will probably have an affect too.

The psoas connects the thigh to the lower back. You can stretch it with a lunge-type stretch. I'd also recommend googling psoas release. The best thing to do is release it then stretch.

For additional resources: I have the roll model book by Jill Miller and her tune up balls (used liked the tennis ball tip above). I have also read a lot of material by Katy Bowman. Her web material will show other stretches that can relieve related problems.

maddiesparks Wed 31-Aug-16 15:49:16

Alternate heat packs with cold packs. Also Google trigger point at as I find it really helpful to work on the trigger point rather than the knot itself.

fruityb Wed 31-Aug-16 16:22:15

Thank you all smile sorry I sounded really blunt up there! I think I must have been feeding or half asleep lol.

Will give these a try. My OH kneaded the crap out of it the other night which helped and will try rolling it on the items above. Its sore!

DontAskIDontKnow Wed 31-Aug-16 17:16:13

Roll the surrounding area as well. Tight muscles will pull on each other. It isn't always the bit that hurts that's causing the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now