Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial biopsy

(14 Posts)
Trisho Sun 28-Aug-16 19:34:37

Hi everyone, I had a couple of scans last week which showed some abnormality of the uterus lining. I have been referred for an urgent endometrial biopsy and I am just wondering if anyone can give me any idea what to expect, please? All I have managed to find are horror stories about how painful it is!
Thanks.

InfiniteCurve Sun 28-Aug-16 20:11:34

I've had this twice now,last time was a month ago.I'd rate it at maybe 5/10 pain wise, maybe?
I do have colposcopy annually and it was like that which makes me think it's the looking up there that's the problem smile.
Not fun and I had to grit my teeth,but I could still talk to the nurse,and once it was done I felt immediately fine!
The thing that did take me by surprise was that I bled for about a week after - I'd have liked to have been warned how long it might go on for!
Is that any help?

Trisho Sun 28-Aug-16 20:44:52

Thanks InfiniteCurve, that is really helpful. I have problems when I have a smear, so I know what you mean! Thanks again.

Badders123 Sun 28-Aug-16 20:47:08

I had one
Best way I can describe it is very bad period cramp whilst it's bring done
But it was fine

Trisho Sun 28-Aug-16 22:27:09

Thanks Badders123, feel much better now.

BackToLondon Mon 29-Aug-16 01:52:21

I am surprised you will be awake during the procedure. I had it done last December and I was asleep, I had no pain afterwards.

Badders123 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:06:25

...and I only bled for a day
Minimal loss
If you prepare for some discomfort you'll be fine
Good luck

PollyPerky Mon 29-Aug-16 10:54:28

I've had 2 biopsies- once just a biopsy and once as part of a hysteroscopy.

I had no pain relief for either and they were pretty much painless. On both occasions I travelled home by public transport on my own, afterwards though I had a longer recovery time after the hysteroscopy due to cramping..

I didn't bleed at all after either- maybe a slight spot but that was it.

You should be advised to look out for any severe pain or a fever for a week or so incase you have an infection from it. (rare!)

I think a lot comes down to the skill of the dr carrying it out. And if you can relax it will be better. I found it less painful than a smear.

Try not to worry- it'll be fine.

Trisho Mon 29-Aug-16 11:35:48

Thank you so much everyone, I had been getting myself a bit worked up but you have all made me feel so much better, thanks again.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Mon 29-Aug-16 11:38:22

I had one with a hystoscopy last month under GA. it is fine. I spotted for a couple of days and had an achey period type pain, but it didn't need pain relief. Best of luck.

PollyPerky Mon 29-Aug-16 11:53:35

Op- is it 'just' the biopsy and no camera?
If it's just the biopsy that is really easy- honestly. The little instrument used is tiny- and you shouldn't feel much at all. I find the brush used for smears more uncomfortable. You might feel a tiny 'nip' when they take the tissue but it IS tiny - like pinching the back of your hand for a second.

Good luck! smile

Badders123 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:27:37

Just remember led I had the coil put in after the biopsy too!
Honestly, you'll be fine.

InfiniteCurve Mon 29-Aug-16 13:38:40

Just coming back to say good luck with it all,OP smile

Trisho Mon 29-Aug-16 17:16:38

Thanks ladies, as far as I'm aware it's just a biopsy to try and find out what's wrong. I feel more relaxed about it now and I'll let you all know how it went, in case it helps anyone else. Best wishes, Trish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now