Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period straight after lochia?

(3 Posts)
Clamb1991 Sun 28-Aug-16 09:19:49

Hi ladies,

This is my first post ever so apologies if it's TMI.

Our baby is 6 weeks old on Tuesday, I breastfed him for around a week. Since then my lochia has gradually got less & less. This morning I've woken up with 'proper blood' on my pad, not loads but the colour is definitely different. Thinking about it I've been especially grumpy this week & my skin has been spotty... Can your period return so quickly without a proper break with the after birth bleeding? Or can the lochia stop & start again? I know it can be heavier if you've been active but I'd been asleep in bed.

I did have a mild panic that I need to phone the hospital but there's not loads of blood & I feel OK in myself!

Thanks in advance for any help,
xxx

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Mon 29-Aug-16 22:39:00

Mine did... but I also had a course of antibiotics for a suspected infection, worked out afterwards that my periods pretty much came back straight after birth - 8 weeks of lochia then immediately a period, periods carried on every 4 weeks after despite breastfeeding!

I remember I did phone the hospital for some advice, and they were really nice. Ring them if you're worried, otherwise go and see your GP.

Oreocrumbs Mon 29-Aug-16 22:53:51

Mine did, 6 (ish) weeks of lochia, a couple of days after it stopped was a period and then back to my normal cycle. Was also breast feeding.

I do remember thinking 'you're kidding me'!! Surely not so soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now