Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ILOPROST

(9 Posts)
Davros Sat 27-Aug-16 16:14:17

Has anyone had it? I have had Scleroderma for 20 years and often have cuts in my hands and fingers that are referred to attractively as "Mechanics Hands" (not digital ulcers). The last time I saw the Rheumatologist I asked about Iloprost because a friend has had it for his Scleroderma although his symptoms seem more arthritis-like than mine. At the moment my hands are absolutely fine but, when they are covered in cuts (imagine lots of the worst paper cuts you can), I would do almost anything to treat them. So I have been booked in for Iloprost which is FIVE days on infusion for a number of hours each day (4 or 5 I understand). I don't want to do it!! What does anyone with experience think? Am I being awkward and should just get on with it although my hands are fine at the moment, its a massive time commitment and the Rheumatologist didn't suggest it anyway? Please help.

Davros Sun 28-Aug-16 22:10:49

Bump!

raeray Sun 28-Aug-16 22:22:45

A relative has had this. It made her feel pretty ropey whilst it was infusing but she said it really made a difference for a while afterwards so she was pleased she had it and has had it again since.
Her advice was have it run at a slow rate even if that takes a bit longer as she felt much better for that.
Good luck flowers

Davros Mon 29-Aug-16 00:19:53

Thanks so much for your reply flowers too!

Knackered46 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:08:29

Hi Davros - my sister had schleroderma and had iloprost infusions - I seem to remember that she felt a bit nauseous, but it made a difference, and she had antiemetics prescribed - but she was a vommity person anyway!

Knackered46 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:09:57

She had more raynaudy stuff going on - it did help though!

Davros Mon 29-Aug-16 18:42:39

This is my issue, I don't have much Raynaud's involvement but I sometimes have the lovely Mechanic's Hands. I'm not sure how appropriate it is for me given its 5 days in a row, taking up most of each day. I may be in a fool's paradise as my hands are fine at the moment and have been for a couple of months, but that can change very quickly.

Knackered46 Mon 29-Aug-16 19:10:49

Is there anything that triggers your mechanics hands? Is it something that you have a chance of predicting through experience? Obvs raynauds is worse when cold -and in winter - does that have the papercut effect on you? Or is it out of the clear blue sky - how often do you get it? (sorry for all the questions pmsl!) blush

Davros Mon 29-Aug-16 23:20:12

It seems to disappear whenever I'm away from home which has recently been going away on holiday, and a hospital stay. I have wondered if it's hard water different cleaning or soaps don't seem to make a difference and it doesn't matter if my hands are in water as we swim a lot on holiday. I've had PUVA, used various creams, keep my hands warm in cold weather and nothing helps when I've got it. But I can't stand the idea if 5 whole days for treatment when I'm ok at the moment but that could turn out to be famous last words

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now