Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'phenomenally inflamed cervix'

(15 Posts)
Castasunder Wed 24-Aug-16 17:08:51

I've just had a follow up from a colpoloscopy which I had done privately. My GP referred me to have it done as she said my cervix looked abnormal' , but I got so worried that I couldn't wait and went through my DP's insurance for a colposcopy and biopsy of the area.
I went back for the results today and he said the above. He said that it was not cancer, and 'benign inflammation but at a 'phenomenally high level' . He also said I had high grade HPV DNA which is what 'may' be causing my abnormally long periods. He said he wasn't concerned about the HPV as 'everyone has it' , but I'm worried sick. For reference, I had CIN 3 cells treated 15 years ago. I have had clear smears since and tested negative for HPV in 2009. So what does this mean? That my DP has been unfaithful? I thought that the HPV infection cleared to undetectable levels after a couple of years?
He then causally threw in the fact that the smear sample he took came back inadequate, but that the biopsy showed that the inflammation was benign so he's just leaving it at that and will proceed to laser. My worry is that the biopsy only takes a tiny amount- so why isn't he wanting to take another smear? How can he know there isn't cancerous cells on different parts of the cervix that he didn't biopsy, especially when the smear is inadequate?

The doctor rushed me like hell though and the appointment was over in 4 minutes - I kid you not. He just said he will get in touch next month to talk about lasering the area and seeing if he can clear the inflammation. He will then also try to look inside the womb.

I don't know what to do now. I'm kicking myself that I let him rush me like that. I also have just literally received a letter from my own Doctor telling me that my colpoloscopy appointment has come through and that scheduled for middle of September. I was intending not to go , given that j had received one privately , but now I'm not sure what to do?

Sorry this is long and disjointed...

Castasunder Wed 24-Aug-16 19:38:32

Sorry for posting twice- that was an accident.

Bumping for advice

PollyPerky Wed 24-Aug-16 20:08:50

Sorry you are going through this.

I'm confused- was the 4 minute appt with your GP discussing your results, or was it with the gynae who did the investigation?

If it was a private gynae then that's disgraceful- he will be invoicing for 30 mins or an hour, not 4 minutes!

I don't know all the ins and outs of HPV. It's a virus but I didn't know there was a time limit for it to clear. I thought it stayed in the body for ever but only became 'activated' if conditions were right- ie weak immune system, smoking, poor diet etc. By activated I mean capable of causing cellular changes. Google and find out?

You can get HPV from fingers, any part of the genitals or the mouth. If your DP has HPV presumably he could re infect you?

There are loads of questions that you could ask a dr- about the biopsy etc. I'd assume he would know whether it is necessary to biopsy a large area, or if taking 1 biopsy is adequate - clearly they aren't going to take loads and without being a gynae I don't know if different areas of the cervix would show different results. if he is going to laser it then it may be he thinks it's immaterial whether he takes another smear or not, because he will laser it all and that would be the treatment regardless. But these are things to ask the drs!

I don't know if you have the option but I'd see another consultant either privately for a 2nd opinion if the insurance will cover (they might) or take up your NHS appt. I'd def not just leave it.

PollyPerky Wed 24-Aug-16 20:11:52

Here you are - Q&As about HP.
www.foundationforwomenscancer.org/questions-from-readers-hpv-duration/

see Q2 from 'Christy' about it lying dormant indefinitely unless activated.

Castasunder Wed 24-Aug-16 21:48:08

Hi- thanks so much for your reply.

Yes sorry . The 4min appointment was a follow up to discuss the results of the colposcopy that he did 2 weeks ago. I have never in my life been in a medical appointment for so little time. The fact that this was done through my private medical insurance makes it worse. He is a consultant gynaecologist who works in a private hospital.

I guess you're right about the outcome being the same, even if he takes another smear. The fact is he wants to cauterise / laser the inflammation away and I guess that would be the same treatment even if the cells were abnormal ( which he says they're not- based on the biopsy)

You're right- I'm certainly no doctor and I should be asking them the questions. But I just didn't get the chance. Unfortunately doctor Google only serves to increase my worry. I suppose my main concern is that if I have HPV again , plus severe inflammation, there's every chance the cells are abnormal. I've had the symptoms of this for ages -( irregular bleeding) so I can't relax knowing my smear was 'inadequate'.

I had HPV 15 years ago ( at least I must have in order to end up with CIN 3 and treatment for it). I am sitting here weighing up the possibility that it's either the same infection, or my long term partner has strayed/infected me.

PollyPerky Wed 24-Aug-16 22:45:41

Have you thought about reporting this to your insurance company if you also ask if they could cover the cost of a 2nd private opinion? Consultants have to be 'okay-ed' to be on the list of drs that insurers would pay out to. If you had a really poor consultation could you find another consultant who is more friendly and experienced in HPV?

Looking at the link I posted, it seems to say that HPV can stay dormant for years , coming and going with symptoms when it's activated. I'm sure there are questions about that there- can't remember but check!

This is why women have smears every 3 years - even if they have had no new partners. If smears were only for women who were not in a monogamous relationship for life, a huge group of women would not need smears every 3 years. Older women who can stop having smears at 60-65 ish if they have always been negative, are advised to continue with them if they have new partners age 65+.

So if you have the laser treatment you will be in the same situation as most women who are sexually active- needing regular smears.

PollyPerky Wed 24-Aug-16 22:48:56

HPV may cause bleeding if you have an inflamed cervix, but it ought not to give heavy irregular bleeding like a period. That sounds more like hormones if it's what you have had.

Your options...seek another opinion, privately or NHS. Given the attitude of the private gynae, I'd not go back - but if you do, I'd say' Hang on a minute...there are several things I'd like to ask you..' !

Castasunder Thu 25-Aug-16 10:02:14

Thanks Polly I really appreciate it.

Yes he was on the pre-approved list from my insurers. He's a nice man and reassuring etc but just doesn't give the time to the patient. When I went in to have the colposcopy originally, I had the consultation, colposcopy and biopsy done within 20 minutes- and that is the truth. I just couldn't believe it. It's like he's living on his nerves or something.

I sit at a crossroads really with regards to the HPV - on one hand I accept that it is an incredibly prevalent infection among the sexually active. My consultant said that he wasn't at all concerned about it but of course it throws up questions for me on whether this is actually a 'new' infection and if so, that leaves me with questions that need answering. I know I'll never find out, but that doesn't stop me feeling worried and upset about the possibility that my DP has been unfaithful ( I have had my concerns in that area)

I think I'm going to make an appointment with my own GP to discuss all this. She is very lovely and thorough- not at all in a hurry to get me out the door! Obviously her hands were tied with regards to wait times for the original colposcopy, which is why I went private. The other weird thing is that the private consultant said he'd never be dire if it was the HPV causing the inflammation or any number of other factors such as the mirena (although I had it out 2 years ago?) or other mild infections such as thrush etc which set off a cycle of inflammation the cervix doesn't recover from.
To my mind though- I think it has to be from the HPV sad

PollyPerky Thu 25-Aug-16 12:27:50

I'm sorry- this is clearly an emotional situation for you dealing with the medical stuff but also the emotional side re. your partner's possible dalliances. Looking purely at the medical side, have the treatment and try to accept there is an unknown element, but then keep on top of it all with smears etc. You could have the original virus reoccurring, you could have a new infection - unless your DP tells you the truth, you won't ever know. But you need to have a conversation with him so he knows that he could well be responsible for this IF he has 'played away'.

I hope you get on ok flowers

Castasunder Thu 25-Aug-16 12:37:21

Thanks polly

adagio Thu 25-Aug-16 12:41:22

I would not be happy with your private consultant at all - 20 minutes initial appointment and tests, then 4 minute follow up? thats awful. As previous posters have said, he will be charging for at least half an hour, plus probably more for tests and procedures.

Did you have to pay an excess too? My PMI (from various employers over the years) always had an excess to pay - which would make more even more annoyed. I would worry about him doing the procedure personally - doesn't sound like he has a great bedside manner for fanjo rummaging which would annoy me.

I would not go back, it sounds like its only a few weeks until the NHS system will catch you anyway. Personally I would either change private consultant (chat with insurers see if they will support it) or go NHS.

FWIW it sounds like the problem - and HPV - can flare up/be a number of things so panicking about husbands possible affair seems a bit of a jump. If you think he is having an affair now, then if you really really want to know get an investigator on him. Otherwise, or if you don't want to know, let this go and concentrate on getting better (and mending any marital issues, if you want to). Or in true mumsnet style LTB, obviously.

Castasunder Thu 25-Aug-16 14:34:49

LTBgrin

I have form for a touch of paranoia on in infidelity so you're right - it's quite a jump, but I don't think I can ignore the possibly. What i would like to know, I guess, is there a chance the inflamed cervix really hasn't anything to do with the HPV? I just don't understand what else it could be when I've been off contraception for well over 2 years.

The private consultant was definitely shocking. The fact that the smear came back as inadequate didn't even surprise me as he was so rushed. I mean, I don't want to say the guy didn't know what he was doing, and he was very nice about it all- but I've had a few colposcopies in my time and never have they been done in 20 minutes - including a consultation , a smear and a biopsy!

Castasunder Thu 25-Aug-16 14:35:17

And yes there's a £250 excess angry

Chippednailvarnishing Thu 25-Aug-16 14:41:50

Call the hospital, get his email address or his private secretary and email him your questions...

Castasunder Fri 26-Aug-16 13:13:32

Yes good idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now