Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

General or Spinal with high BMI?

(8 Posts)
DailyMailEthicalFail Wed 24-Aug-16 13:38:32

My BMI is 43.8.

I need an operation to my lower leg/foot.

I have had 2 previously.

One 18m ago. Day patient, no incidents.
I had a Spinal (which I've also had for 2 x C-Secs, a decade ago).

2nd was 8m ago. The Spinal went in 'wrong' and was very painful.
It didn't seem to wear off and although the right leg was the operated upon one, the left was affected. ( I asked for a zimmer in hospital and they refused and I fell and slipped a lower disc which has trapped my left sciatic nerve.) I ended up being in for 5 days.

I am due this operation to be re-done as there have been problems with scar tissue.

I am very nervous about another Spinal after last time (they initially thought my spinal cord was punctured and I'd had a leak) but I am also nervous about a GA at my weight.

I asked at the hospital y'day at my pre-op clinic but the Anaesthetist was not helpful and rather sneery about my weight. She wouldn't discuss what went wrong last time (hosp have been very reluctant to discuss) or my concerns about another Spinal when I still have a slipped disc I can feel.

Any advice / experience would be very welcome.

still have some patches of numbness around my bottom.

DailyMailEthicalFail Wed 24-Aug-16 16:02:11

anyone?

DailyMailEthicalFail Wed 24-Aug-16 19:10:53

hellloooooooooo???

PeachGoddess Thu 25-Aug-16 08:00:49

I'm not sure they would do you a spinal if you have damaged your back. I understand your concerns re your weight but anaesthetists are used to it and will look after you

DailyMailEthicalFail Thu 25-Aug-16 09:24:34

They will do either.

They said they'd not do a GA if the Op was longer or more complicated (foot surgery due to last an hour)

They are completely 'meh' about the back damage as it occurred due to a refusal to give me a zimmer after my last Op so they don't even want to TALK about it.

I am worried that an hour lying flat on a prolapsed disc on a trolley will cause further damage but even more that another Spinal will cause same probs now???

southwest1 Thu 25-Aug-16 15:45:14

I think my BMI is similar and I've had 11 GAs in the last ten years, some where I was under 4-6 hours and never had any problems.

Not had anything done under spinal but has four failed epidurals so not keen on things like that.

DailyMailEthicalFail Thu 25-Aug-16 16:03:50

thanks, southwest that is encouraging.

I didn't get to ask any qu's about the relative -\+ points as the Anaesthetist was just so keen not to speak about my last experience

IwillrunIwillfly Mon 29-Aug-16 23:25:24

I dont know much about this, but any experiance that i have had is yhat anetheatists tend to err on the side of caution so if you were a very high risk to them from, they would prob want to discourage you from having a ga. The fact that theyre letting you decide i assume means they wouldnt see you as high risk. Hope you get better care which ever you devide op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now