Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Don't want to bother a and e but in pain after a trip yesterday

(6 Posts)
BarbieBrightSide Wed 24-Aug-16 11:12:36

Just wanted opinions really.

I tripped on an uneven paving slab at home yesterday and must have landed badly on my right foot because I was immediately in quite severe pain at the base of my big toe. (I have a bunion on my other foot which is periodically very painful and the pain at that point on this foot felt similar to that when it is having a flare up)

There doesn't appear to be any swelling, but it is painful to walk on and if I lift my toes, and there is a dull ache if I am sitting doing nothing. I have taken ibuprofen but it is still painful.I can walk on the outside of my foot without any pain.

Rang GP and the receptionist said she thought that they'd probably send me for an x-ray if I went in to see one of them, but I really don't want to waste anyone's time and wondered whether I should give it a couple of days and then go if it is still painful?

Ffion3107 Wed 24-Aug-16 11:17:29

When I broke one of my toes, I rang my GP who told me to tape it with the next toe and take painkillers. It took 6 weeks to heal!
It's different with your big toe, you will need a support boot if it's broken so you will need an x-ray. I wouldn'y give it a couple of days.

Ilovetea82 Wed 24-Aug-16 11:24:40

Is there a minor injuries clinic near you? This might be the best place to go.

Hawkmoth Wed 24-Aug-16 11:27:55

Getting an X-ray is cheaper than potential knock on effects from a break in your bad toe healing wrong. So you don't need to feel guilty about using the NHS!

Cellardoor23 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:59:36

You won't be wasting their time. I fell and hurt my foot a few years ago and because i could still walk I thought i hadn't done much damage plus I didn't want to waste anyone's time. After 2 days my friend convinced me to go. They took an X-Ray and it turned out it was broken! I asked how? I can walk on it? And the nurse said you would be surprised how many people are walking about with a broken foot!

Glad I got it checked, probably would have had serious repercussions if I didn't.

BarbieBrightSide Thu 25-Aug-16 14:02:52

I went and was told by the doctor that he didn't think it was broken and told to keep on with painkillers at home.

It still hurts a lot, although the ache at rest is less than yesterday, so I am hoping his 'I don't think' turns out to be 'it definitely isn't'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now