Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Underactive thyroid

(15 Posts)
MoonStar07 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:12:45

My GP said my levels are now on after reducing levothyroxine. I was being over medicated. I've suffered hair loss, anxiety and depression. What are the solutions for this illness? Any ideas ? I'm planning on trying to get a private referral to an endo?

MoonStar07 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:13:38

Basically I feel exhausted all the time. It's no fun. My anxiety and depression keep kicking in...I'm sure it's still my thyroid. They only check TSH. Maybe I should get other things checked? Any ideas what?

Namechangingbastard Sun 21-Aug-16 10:17:13

I'm not a lot of help because I just do as I'm told and just take what they tell me! However I do know how you are feeling. maybe ask for an iron and calcium check. I think there is more than one kind of TSH so ask them to check em all!

notapizzaeater Sun 21-Aug-16 10:19:38

I've only just started this treatment so watching with interest. My levels have gone from 7 something to 5 something and he's just increased my tablets.

I'm sick of my joints aching all the time

SingingTunelessly Sun 21-Aug-16 10:25:28

Definitely insist on a referral to an Endo. It's the only way my thyroid issues got sorted out. Dr will only do the most basic TSH check. Endo will check T3 and do a full thyroid profile.

MoonStar07 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:27:50

Also my hair loss has got worse! I desperately need help for hair loss too

wintersdawn Sun 21-Aug-16 10:39:11

Def get referral. There are so many other issues around the thyroid that the doctor just won't pick up on.

I went to docs 8 years ago now and was told I should eat more fruit and veg and try to reduce my stress - I'd just quit working in London, started working part time and got a dog at the time, I was the most stress free I'd been in years.

My referral got me MRI scans and numerous blood tests that the doctors just weren't willing to do. I have a rare form of thyroid issue and I'm now on 5 times the level that the doctor was willing to try me on for just one month after I basically begged him - though that is two kids later.

There isn't much other than medication that can make a difference to low thyroid, though being overweight can make it worse.

wintersdawn Sun 21-Aug-16 10:40:47

Will also say don't expect a quick fix re getting levels right and your energy back. It took me a while to get my energy and 'normalness' back.

MoonStar07 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:53:17

Thank you. Yes weight is a struggle. I really yo-yo by a lot! I know that doesn't help either. It caused gallstones for me and gallbladder removal. I've read somewhere thyroid and gallbladder issues are connected too. Need to get a consistent handle on my weight.

Davinaaddict Sun 21-Aug-16 16:14:12

They should be checking for more than just your TSH level. Have you also had any other tests? B12, folate, ferritin and vitamin D at least are required to be optimal for thyroid function. If you can, get a copy of all your blood results with the ranges as well, as you may benefit from taking other supplements. But don't take anything until you get the proper results as some supplements can cause problems if over the levels.

I'd also recommended the Thyroid page on the Health Unlocked forum as well.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 21-Aug-16 17:19:19

TSH alone is not enough to test thyroid problems properly. GP is talking out of ignorance.

Do read these links connected to the Thyroid UK website; its non woo and very informative.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testing/thyroid_blood_tests.html

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testing/interpretation_thyroid_blood_tests.html

Bugsylugs Sun 21-Aug-16 17:38:31

Actually thyroid uk is quite woo unfortunately Attila.
Of course people feel better on an overactive thyroid result doesn't mean it is healthy for you or your body.
Just remember if you see someone privately they should be prescribing not your GP and if you see a consultant they advise they cannot insist they treat you as you see fit so it maybe that your consultant may have to prescribe.

MoonStar07 Mon 22-Aug-16 19:52:22

Thank you for advice those links are excellent I will go armed to my next appointment

notapizzaeater Mon 22-Aug-16 21:59:20

Snap - doctor beware - clued up patient coming through !!

PoshPenny Mon 22-Aug-16 22:13:27

Woo or not, Thyroid UK website helped me to make contact with a doctor who put me back on track after the NHS were intent on telling me there was nothing wrong with my thyroid and it was all in my imagination. I'm "flying" now and able to function like a "normal" person does, work a full day, do a bit of exercise, get things done - that sort of thing.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a private referral to an endocrinologist, they'll more than likely tell you it's all in your mind too. Instead I would email thyroid uk and get their list of thyroid friendly private doctors and spend money seeing them. It has been worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now