Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

labrynthitis - any solutions to ease it please

(20 Posts)
HalloweenQueen1 Sat 20-Aug-16 14:28:50

Hi all, got diagnosed with this on Thursday morning. I literally woke up and could hardly stand I was so dizzy with a weird sensation in my head every time I spoke, got a gp appointment and was given antibiotics and a anti inflammatory but it feels like it's getting worse??? Anyone else ever suffered with this?? How long until it clears up?? It's driving me crazy sad thanks

KurriKurri Mon 22-Aug-16 17:17:31

I've had it a few times - it is awful, you have my sympathies. I was given an anti emetic to help deal with the vertigo - as I couldn't stand up without falling over and moving my head made me throw up.

All my attacks lasted about ten days - with the symptoms tapering off after about five days. My only way of coping was to lie totally flat and still, have you got people around you to help you with looking after children, getting to the loo, making food etc ? (not sure how badly affected you are but I couldn't stand up so needed a lot of help)

Keeping the lights down low helped a bit as well, make sure you have things you can hang on to if you try walking about.

If you've been given anti biotics presumably your GP thinks the cause is an infection, so hopefully they will start working soon and help you feel less dreadful.

Sending best wishes - it is a really horrible thing to have sad

KurriKurri Mon 22-Aug-16 17:18:41

Oh just remembered I was given steroids as well - is that what you have been given?

DoItTooJulia Mon 22-Aug-16 17:22:52

I have antihistamines/antiemetics when I have a bout. Tbh they just knock me clean out-which is my favourite way to deal with it.

I have to lie completely still. I can barely walk to the loo, and staying upright on the loo is a challenge!

I've never been given antibiotics or anti inflammatory drugs, so not sure about those. There is a head manipulation thing you can do, but I can't remember the name of it now. If my memory kicks in, I'll be back to share it with you.

flowers and sympathy-it's awful.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 22-Aug-16 17:23:02

I really commiserate op.
Try taking Stugeron travel tablets, they certainly help me.
I've had several attacks including one that started when I was driving and my dear sister had to come to my rescue, horrible condition.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 22-Aug-16 17:24:56

When I had it they gave me antihistamines, I can't remember what type, but I do remember they said certain over the counter ones would help too. They helped immensely.

You could ask a pharmacist or your doctor to see what would be suitable with the medication you're on already.

flowers it's a really awful thing to have.

iklboo Mon 22-Aug-16 17:28:18

I take Cinnarizine antihistamine when I have a flare up. That & lie still in a dimly lit room with no tv, phone screens etc

TCmytreasure Mon 22-Aug-16 17:28:25

When I had this it's the most ill I have ever felt. I was prescribed tablets to help with the vertigo. Just standing up made me vomit. The only thing that helped other than this was sleep & bed rest. You have my sympathies.

Cinnamoncookie Mon 22-Aug-16 17:31:01

I have Stemetil for an attack, for the nausea/dizziness. Cutting down on sugar and especially chocolate also helps, but my attacks are not very severe

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 22-Aug-16 17:50:18

They should have given you some prochlorperazine for the dizziness and sickness. Antibiotics don't sort labyrinthitis out; it's the damage caused by having an ear infection/very bad cold/other viruses (it's not well understood), rather than being an illness itself.

I have it; it never goes away but it does calm down. I just had to wait it out when I first had it. It appeared after a bad sore throat I had. It took two weeks to stop feeling seasick and dopey, then another couple of months to get back to normal. Occasionally I get whizzy bouts, especially if I'm run down. Sometimes having a beer helps.

Optimist1 Mon 22-Aug-16 17:57:14

Look on YouTube for the Epley Manoevre. There are several slightly different methods shown, so watch with the person who's going to do it for you to see which you both feel most confident about. Provided the person performing the manoevre doesn't do anything too forecefully there's every chance that you'll feel the benefit. I've a friend who suffers and have performed it a few times for him - sometimes very successfully, occasionally less so but well worth a try.

228agreenend Mon 22-Aug-16 18:00:22

I have stematil (prochlorperazine?) for my dizziness. It's my wonder drug. It seems to 'settle' my head.

RockNRollNerd Mon 22-Aug-16 18:45:17

Isn't Epley for BPPV - I've had both and Epley is to jiggle the crystals that have formed about into a better place. Labyrinthitis is an infection so am not sure an Epley manoevre would help... (disclaimer not a doctor).

For me betahisthine and buccastem (Prochlorperazine) worked to take the edge off it all but it is horrible. Do not try to do too much, I did the first time I had it and it took ages to recover and I ended up having to have vestibular rehabilitation. I've had it a couple of times since and didn't try to get back to normal too fast and recovered much quicker.

Top tip for those who've had it before and take prochlorperazine - you can buy Buccastem OTC nowadays at Boots - it's only licensed for migraines though.

Optimist1 Mon 22-Aug-16 19:33:41

I'm not medically qualified either, RockNRoll ! I've been racking my brains to think of who pointed us in the direction of the Epley and can't recall but someone recommended it for labyrinthitis and as I say we've had some successful outcomes.

iklboo Mon 22-Aug-16 20:15:11

Unfortunately mine is now Vestibular Neuronitis- permanent damage. I'm sort of low level / manageable dizzy. Problems with balance, turning my head while walking, loud noises & crowds. Occasionally have a severe flare up and worse if I'm tired or stressed. Trouble is my job is stressful, so I don't sleep well sometimes.....vicious circle.

Dedicated physio exercises really helped. Ask your GP if they can refer you if it persists.

KitKat1985 Mon 22-Aug-16 20:22:05

Stematil can help.

I feel your pain. I've had labyrinthitis and it's hell. I've never felt so sick in my life.

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Mon 22-Aug-16 20:28:42

Anti sickness injections. Much sympathy x

DoItTooJulia Mon 22-Aug-16 20:32:43

The Eply manoeuvre-that's it!

How are you doing op?

Crasterwaves Mon 22-Aug-16 20:41:04

I was going to stay vestibular rehab - really helps. You can go private if you can afford it and want to be seen quickly

Dustpan Mon 22-Aug-16 20:47:27

Short term - lie flat!

Longer term - get referral for vestibular rehab & do the exercises religiously, they really help,

Hope yr better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now