Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinus inflammation and Neilmed

(7 Posts)
nibblingfingernails Thu 18-Aug-16 21:14:27

I have suffered for years with sinus infections, have had 2 operations etc.... To help keep the infections at bay I take an low dose antibiotic 3 days a week, use a nose spray daily and up until recently using Sterimar. Saw Consultant last week and she advised me to ditch the Sterimar and replace it with Neilmed. (I have used Neilmed in the past and hated it but needs must). So I have been using it as prescribed by consultant twice a day, within about 2/3 days of doing nasal washout I got a horrible smell in my nose, Thought oh great, am brewing an infection. Went away for the weekend camping and didn't take Neilmed with me and by the time I returned on Monday, the smell had pretty much gone! Gone back to using Neilmed since and lo and behold smell is even worse than ever and have such a heavy feeling in between my eyes.

Has anyone else had this experience, obviously I know that you are rinsing out sinuses etc but have never experienced this smell before. There has been no discharge so far thankfully!

I really dislike the Neilmed, I do wonder if I am doing it right even though I have read the instructions but for over an hour after doing the rinse out my nose just leaks salty water either pouring out of my nose or if I sit back in an armchair it goes down the back of my throat (and that is without tipping my head back).

Any tips or pearls of wisdom??

nibblingfingernails Thu 18-Aug-16 22:35:00

hopeful bump................

Shurelyshomemistake Thu 18-Aug-16 23:12:32

Do you have some sort of obstruction in your sinuses?? Polyps or something? I wonder if the washout is getting stuck and pooling somewhere hence taking a while to drain.
Have you had imaging of your sinuses?

I love my Neilmed thing although admittedly I am just prone to acute sinus infection as opposed to having a chronic infection.

If it isn't suiting you theneed can you contact the consultant by email maybe?

nibblingfingernails Thu 18-Aug-16 23:20:56

Thanks for replying - I had a CT scan done in April and got the results last Tuesday, it showed that there was plenty of airway in my sinuses although the Consultant said there was some shadowing at the bottom of my sinuses and couldn't determine whether it was infection or not!

When you use Neilmed, does it leak for an hour or more after you have used it? I'm on annual leave at the moment but dread returning to work as I will need to get up very early just to nose rinse and not worry about streaming water running out!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 18-Aug-16 23:23:07

I use neilmed sometimes and I get the odd bit of water leaking out much later.

It's shit, isn't it?I'm having a shitty END day today and am feeling sorry for myself.

The smell thing is odd. Is it like an infectiony smell?

TheSpottedZebra Thu 18-Aug-16 23:23:24

ENT not end.

nibblingfingernails Thu 18-Aug-16 23:25:50

Its a horrid 'off' type of smell, no idea how else to describe it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now