Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Crutches?

(8 Posts)
Silvercatowner Thu 18-Aug-16 09:03:58

On holiday on crutches, following a tumble on the first day (an hour after we'd left the airport sad. I have crutches but the doctor I saw at the hospital told me to return them on the way back to the airport. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage without them, particularly negotiating Heathrow arrivals. Any suggestions? I don't want to just keep them, that would be stealing, wouldn't it? (Of course I would return them to my local hospital). If I manage at Heathrow, would my local hospital give me crutches??

DandelionAndBedrock Thu 18-Aug-16 09:08:02

Contact Heathrow and see if you can book assistance - they have wheelchairs and those little mobility buggies. If you can't walk without crutches I think it will have to be that?

You can buy crutches in Argos - you could reserve a pair for the day you land?

Silvercatowner Thu 18-Aug-16 09:13:58

Thanks! I had no idea you could buy crutches in Argos!

CMOTDibbler Thu 18-Aug-16 16:31:16

Book assistance each end for the airport, and order some crutches from Amazon to be home when you get there

Silvercatowner Thu 18-Aug-16 18:04:44

Thank you!

trinity0097 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:56:21

I would see if you can buy some overseas to take with you. If you need them you will need them at the airport too!

MaureenMLove Fri 19-Aug-16 22:05:56

I learnt an interesting thing about crutches the other day! Aparently, all crutches that are returned to UK hospitals are thrown away! All of them. It's a health and safety thing I assume.

This info was from someone who works in recycling in hospitals up and down the country and I've no reason not to believe her.

Soooo, anyway. Don't bother taking the ones you've got home, because they'll just go in the bin!

Silvercatowner Sat 20-Aug-16 07:52:25

Thanks Maureen - that is quite shocking. The hospital asked me to return them so that is what I'm going to do later today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now