Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scaphoid break, what to expect?

(1 Post)
Titsalinabumsquash Wed 17-Aug-16 21:37:37

I fell at work onto my out stretched hand and felt a very big and painful crunch, went to a&e and was X-rayed, the dr I saw said she couldn't see anything on the X-ray but that's not uncommon but from the nature of the fall and the level of pain i was in and the area she was 99.9% sure it was a scaphoid break in my wrist, due to the X-ray not showing anything she put me in a splint and I'm going back tomorrow (8 days later) to see an a&e consultant to re X-ray.

What I want to know is if the X-ray still shows no break what will they do? I'm still in a lot of pain, looking after 4 children (including 2 babies) I'm really struggling because I keep re hurting it as the splint offers no protection, I'm worried if the X-ray is clear then they'll take the splint off and let me get on with it. I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which isn't offering a lot of relief.

I can now move my fingers (painfully) but my thumb is agony to move and my wrist aches so badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now