Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Upper abdominal pain

(8 Posts)
onmybroomstick Sun 14-Aug-16 17:52:52

I've had a constant ache in my upper abdomen since fri night. The pain at night has took me along time to fall asleep and woke me several times. It doesn't seem to be as bad in the day when I'm busy but is definitely still there. It's not a sharp pain just a dull ache maybe? It kind of feels like going number 2 would relieve it but doesn't. Dreading bed time again when it seems to be worse. Asked in chat earlier and was told gallstones by someone?? Ideas here anyone please

Bingybongybashy Wed 17-Aug-16 22:16:24

See your Gp and request an ultrasound to check your pancreas.

PandoNoPants Wed 17-Aug-16 22:25:50

Is it more on one particular side?

I had 6yrs of gallbladder issues/infections but no stones. The pain was the worst I've ever felt. Right side under my ribs, sometimes spreading to my back and shoulder.

I don't know if it was related to it (not had it since I had my gallbladder removed in 2011) but I sometimes used to get a constant ache in the upper middle area. It could last over a week - very uncomfortable.

Definitely go and see your GP. They will refer you for scans/tests to check it out.

onmybroomstick Thu 18-Aug-16 07:07:32

I went to the gp. She said she doesn't really know what it is and take paracetamol blush

PandoNoPants Thu 18-Aug-16 07:43:46

Oh wow! I'd go back and say you tried it, but no luck so can you please have a referral to a consultant. I'm just posting this here so you can see the hoops I had to jump through.

If I said I had my first gallbladder attack in 2005 and I finally had it removed in 2011...

The worst part being in 2007 when I saw a gastroenterologist. My tests came back negative (I was always scanned about 3 months after an attack!) This consultant told me it's probably IBS and the pain must be in my head (even though I was hospitalised with every attack, given morphine and antibiotics)!!! I was very depressed after that because if I needed any time off work, it sort of looked like I was faking I guess.

Fast forward to 2011, during a very bad attack they actually scanned me in hospital and I was referred to a surgeon. "He said I had acalculous cholecystitis" and I needed it out.

So I'd say, don't give up and definitely keep a diary of symptoms. You know your own body x

lovechocolate123 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:48:41

Did you manage to see your doctor again?

I have had bad lower abdo tummy cramps. In the last 10 months done I have had all bloods done, abdo ultrasound, colonoscopy, endoscopy all they could find was gastritis and severe diverticulosis. But they seem to think that it wouldn't cause pain. They keep saying it's anxiety!

lovechocolate123 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:51:56

Panda- what were your symptoms? At first they thought I had stones in gallbladder and was all set to have it removed then after a further ultrasound they didn't see any so didn't have the op.

domton Wed 24-Aug-16 23:00:45

I had helicobacter virus which caused high stomach pain right in the middle underneath the centre of my ribs. Took three different antibiotics for a week. It worked.

May be worth enquiring about. I nearly passed out in work with the pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now