Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is wrong with me? Soooo tired.

(8 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:14:38

I have had depression for years following a very traumatic time in my life. I have tried to rebuild my life, I am a LP to 2 DC, I run a small business from home and I'm doing a full time degree.

For the last year or so I have been overwhelmingly tired. I can rarely get through a day without having a sleep, even if I've had a good night's sleep before. This is incredibly frustrating as I have so much I need/want to do but none of it ever gets done. For example, I'll get up, have a bath then feel so tired I need to sleep again. If I walk the dog I'm shattered and need a good rest afterwards. I'm a slim, otherwise healthy 35 year old, but I feel like an old woman. I often ache all over as well.

It's really getting me down, and interfering with my life, and getting in the way of being a good parent. I feel like I'm running at about 5% of what I'm capable of. I've spoken to the doctor and had some bloods done today, not sure what they are checking for exactly, but I'm fairly sure it will come back normal as I had full blood tests done recently before an operation and everything came back normal.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? It's really getting me down.

BadgerIsGrumpy Fri 12-Aug-16 23:20:44

Are you eating/ drinking enough? When I am having a shitty week, I let this sort of thing slide then feel worse in the long run. It's a vicious cycle. Do you know if they checked your iron levels?

123fushia Fri 12-Aug-16 23:31:38

I felt similar to you a few years ago. After the doctor checked for thyroid deficiency she put me on a small, daily dose of thyroxine. Huge improvement in energy levels. I was only just under normal levels but a small amount to top me up each day really worked.
May be worth a trip to the docs to check yours.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:32:46

I don't know if that's something they're testing for now. I'm a vegetarian and my diet isn't too bad, but it's probably not as good as it should be as I often just don't have the energy to cook. Doesn't help that I have one dd with ASD who will only eat certain things, and one who loves meat and won't eat anything I'll eat, so by the time I've sorted them out, I haven't got much energy to worry about me.

We do have a lot of takeaways, just because I'm too tired to cook. I know how feeble that sounds but often feeding us all just seems like an insurmountable task.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:33:47

Thanks fushia, hopefully that's something they're testing for.

Davinaaddict Fri 12-Aug-16 23:34:10

Sounds like it could be a number of things - there are a few threads similar tours if you advanced search which might help. My initial suggestions would be vitamin d or b12 deficiencies, low ferritin or anaemia, or thyroid could all be the cause.

When you get your results from the doctor, I'd recommend you get a print out of your results including the ranges, and post them on here. A lot of problems can be caused by these things, but won't be seen by a lot of GPs as an issue as they are 'in range'.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:35:46

Thanks davina, I'll ask for a print out. I should get the results on Tuesday.

iamEarthymama Fri 12-Aug-16 23:42:03

I was exactly the same a couple of years ago, I felt that life wasn't worth living at all.

I gave up gluten after being tested re iron, thyroid etc etc
After 3 weeks it was as though a switch had been thrown and I came alive.
My GP said I was right to do so and has supported me.
The best thing has been the end of the depression and worthlessness I constantly felt.

Have a word with your doctor, it's not so hard though expensive if you buy lots of gf bread and cake.

Good luck 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now