Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dirty grey scaly skin round my neck

(11 Posts)
Katymac Fri 12-Aug-16 15:14:30

When I first got this I was worried I didn't wash enough - so I scrub & exfoliate now & it hasn't been too bad, but it is still very visible.

I was in the sun at the weekend & it all went dark grey & flaked off when I exfoliated but not like skin peeling after too much sun

Any idea what is causing it?

Moonrocks6 Fri 12-Aug-16 15:18:15

Are you wearing a necklace? Could it be products that have built up on the gold/ silver and have transferred to your skin?
I seem to remember my mum having something similar a few years ago.

Katymac Fri 12-Aug-16 15:23:16

Maybe?

I don't wear one often at least I don't think I do

HairsprayQueen Fri 12-Aug-16 15:26:51

Ds2 gets this when it's warm weather- he doesn't wear jewellery so for him it's not that. I don't have any idea what it is though! He baths every day and everything but it looks like he doesn't!

LizzieVereker Fri 12-Aug-16 15:28:59

Assuming that you haven't come into contact with The Stone Men from Game of Thrones, and therefore don't have Greyscale (sorry, couldn't help it grin ) , I also wonder if this might be caused by jewellery? A friend of mine had similar issues with her skin which was related to gluten intolerance, but I believe that was only on her hands and forearms, not her face or neck.

VenusRising Fri 12-Aug-16 15:40:42

Katy I don't want to worry you, but have you had your blood sugar levels checked.
This darkening of skin around creases is a sign of diabetes.

Make an blood sugar appointment with your GP. It will be a fasting one (no water either) so early in the morning and then a glucose challenge drink to see how you deal with blood sugar. All in all it might take an hour or so.

The GP should also check for damage to the red blood corpuscles for sugar damage, (they become scraggy looking) so a full blood account and rbc analysis.

kilmuir Fri 12-Aug-16 15:42:40

Second a diabetes check

Katymac Fri 12-Aug-16 15:44:49

Through all my many, many blood tests my blood sugar has been the only one that is stable & normal

But I'll ask the GP when I see him next

fluffiphlox Fri 12-Aug-16 19:46:13

I thought Grayscale too. Sorry no help at all. Try the GP.
Also check jewellery allergy.

hairymuffet Sun 14-Aug-16 23:37:27

This can be caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome

Katymac Mon 15-Aug-16 08:29:12

Or given that is might be Diabetes or PCOS - it could just be another manifestation of my already existing but undiagnosed autoimmune condition

I was hoping for something fixable

I will ask next time I see the GP - but the chances of getting an appointment when it's bad are slim - maybe I'll get to see the nurse practitioner quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now