Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What if your foot looked like this? (Pic)

(44 Posts)
Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 12:12:06

My feet, rt much more than lt have been burning occasionally on top of the base of my toes for maybe a month, now. No specific injury. GP says metatarsalgia (pain in metatarsals- helpful!). Rt foot/ankle had begun to swell a bit, but, here on hols (hot, + walking) as you can see, my rt foot & ankle has swollen loads more, and I have these red blotches above my sock line on both ankles, rt far more than lt. My foot (not ankle) is stiff and aches, but the red swollen bit isn't hot, a little sore to touch, maybe. Elevating it doesn't seem to improve it and it doesn't 'pit' with a finger print push on it, like retained fluid might.

So I'm thinking, not cellulitis, but what is it? I'm 53, reasonably fit but overweight, BMI 29, and have no other health issues, with usually quite defined ankles!

Will see my GP back in the UK but no chance for min 6 days.

Not sure how I should care for it in the meantime!

Natsku Wed 10-Aug-16 12:18:01

Well I'm not expert but that doesn't look good to me, any chance you can see a doctor before you return to the UK? If not then I'd cut down on walking and rest it as much as possible.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Aug-16 12:20:05

I would keep an eye on the redness to see if it is spreading.

Maybe put an ice pack or cold flannel on it?

Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 12:29:58

Thanks. The rash, for want of a better word came up first about 5 days ago after tramping around Seville in 39 degrees... But 2 days later it'd faded to pale brown, but it flared up again after lots of walking in Gibraltar yesterday.

Normally I'd expect a bit of puffiness tho I'm not prone to it at all, after walking in the heat, but I don't 'get' why one ankle but not the other, or what the 'rash' is?!

Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 12:36:19

I am icing it right now to see what happens!

Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 13:47:17

No, a couple of hours of elevation and icing hasn't made any difference!sad

Merclady Wed 10-Aug-16 13:57:38

From that photo definitely cellulitis

You need antibiotics

Natsku Wed 10-Aug-16 14:33:35

Find a doctor/clinic of some kind then OP. What country are you in?

NanTheWiser Wed 10-Aug-16 17:03:04

Probably Golfer's Vasculitis: www.moretimetotravel.com/golfers-vasculitis-a-common-but-often-misdiagnosed-boomer-travel-malady-2/ from walking in hot weather. Not a serious condition, I've had it in the past (walking round shops in hot weather), and a friend of mine had it recently after long walks in the heat.

Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 17:06:28

OK, found a doctor, she's not 100% certain it's cellulitis but has given me antibiotics, and wait and see. Otherwise it's diuretics!! I'm only 53! grin

Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 17:13:10

Thanks for the advice re Golfer's Vasculitis, I suspect that might be the case as the description fits exactly!

My own reasons for thinking it isn't cellulitis is because I otherwise feel fine, it's bilateral, it doesn't itch, it's not particularly painful, and it forms above my sockline as per Nan's helpful link. Loving 'Disney Rash'!

Thanks again to Dr Mumsnet.

PollyPerky Wed 10-Aug-16 17:48:25

Cellulitis. Or a different kind of blood clot. You need to go to a hospital quickly. Don't mess about.

Cellulitis does not always affect both legs at the same time. You really need to get this sorted. Losing weight will help long term but you do need to take it seriously. I have an older friend who has cellulitis and she is often admitted to hospital when it flares up. her leg looks like yours. She has to have ABs intravenously. You might need blood thinners like Warfarin and you should seriously think about 'air socks' for your flight home.

PollyPerky Wed 10-Aug-16 17:50:17

Here www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cellulitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Moreisnnogedag Wed 10-Aug-16 18:17:18

Polly whilst your friend does have problems with cellulitis it does no one any good throwing out definitive advice in panicky tones. The op seems sensible and has already seen a doctor.

PollyPerky Wed 10-Aug-16 18:52:18

Right that's told me smile

I linked to the NHS advice.

Her dr wasn't sure.

Not sure why you feel the need to be snipey.

Moreisnnogedag Wed 10-Aug-16 18:57:47

It was the telling her she needed to go to a hospital quickly and that she may need warfarin. That's quite a leap. She's seen a doctor, been safety netted and feels well in herself. Rushing to hospital seems a bit keen.

Never mind. It's just a bug bear of mine.

Squabblesallaround Wed 10-Aug-16 21:06:04

Cellulitis is usually warm to touch and you say this isn't. Is the rash area blanching? Does it itch? Given the heat/pain in your foot/toes has been around previously and their current colour it could be vein reflux, especially given the time you have spent on your feet and that it faded to brown then reappeared when walking again. See your GP when you return and keep it elevated as much as possible. Hope you manage to get it sorted, enjoy your hols

Draylon Wed 10-Aug-16 22:23:32

I am an HCP myself, thus maybe didn't associate what I've got with Emergency/Warfarin/septicaemia because I've seen real, proper cellulitis 'in the flesh'; mine seemed/seems trivial in comparison!

I am aware my -ahem- 'condition' falls a little between the cracks, in that it fits perfectly with 'Disney Rash' but with more swelling than maybe that indicates.

I wonder if either I have an underlying foot condition, ('metatarsalgia') causing some swelling, plus this rash thing; the first, pre-holiday causing some occasional burning pain, the latter causing the rash, one on the other; OR they're related!

Draylon Thu 11-Aug-16 17:43:58

Tootsies this evening!

Took it quite easy today, though 4 swims: the Med, the sulphurous waters of a Roman Bath (cold!), the local river swimming hole (pleasantly warm in the shallows), and our pool!

I think my ankle's looking much better, less red and a bit less swollen!

NanTheWiser Thu 11-Aug-16 17:57:19

Good news! Apparently, once you've had it, it can recur, so you may get it again if walking in the heat. I spoke to my friend who had had it, today, and she has had it twice (as had I), but no recurrence since the cooler weather.

Draylon Fri 12-Aug-16 21:42:41

I suspect it's something I have to be aware of from here on in!

I will be visiting my GP soon, tho, as I want to know why my right (the problem one!) foot hurts, and my ankle swells. I am almost thinking the two are not connected, seeing as I also got golfer's vasculitis on my left ankle, tho to a lesser degree to my right one; but the painful episodes around the upper side of my toe/foot joints on the right has been a problem for a while.

Wonder if I'll get to the bottom of this? I want an MRI, actually, tho luckily, in my line of work, HCP, that'd be easy to organise... Why does it swell, I would like to know!

PollyPerky Sat 13-Aug-16 11:16:10

What kind of HCP are you out of interest?

Swollen ankles and feet are most often linked to diseases of the kidneys and the heart- both cause fluid retention caused by poor circulation, being overweight and sedentary . Anyone who has swollen ankles ought to seek medical advice.

PollyPerky Sat 13-Aug-16 13:40:59

This might help narrow it down a bit

www.nhs.uk/conditions/oedema/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Squabblesallaround Sat 13-Aug-16 20:43:23

I'm also a HCP and did a rotation in vascular clinic, saw a lot similar looking legs with similar presenting factors. I would see what your GP advises on your return but you could maybe suggest he arranges a Doppler referral for you.

Draylon Sat 13-Aug-16 23:10:11

I will certainly be investigating further.

My issue began, as I've already said, with metatarsalgia which started quite suddenly about, oh 8 weeks ago, bilaterally (both sides) but far more on my right than left foot. Nothing 'triggered' it, nothing solved it, it just came and went, possibly worse in the mornings, like limping worse. It was accompanied with burning pain across the top/anterior of my metatarsal-phalangeal joints (where your toes meet your foot, proper). Some swelling had begun then, which is why I went to my GP who diagnosed -um- metatarsalgia! And suggested I came back if it got worse a month hence.

Well, the swelling's definitely worse, but it's unilateral, right ankle only.

I am definitely considering that the red rash was a red herring, as it were. It may well have come about, my 'golfer's vasculitis' as a result of my now impairment in my right lower leg, but again, it was bilateral (both sides, rt>lt) and can definitely be traced to lots of walking in the heat.

Right now, back in the UK, if I knew no different, I might be surprised at glancing down to observe my right ankle 25% bigger than my left. There's no pain, no heat, no skin discoloration any more, nothing. Just a cankle!

It's a bit odd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now