Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

packing bag for hospital stay

(3 Posts)
LunaLoveg00d Tue 09-Aug-16 19:03:03

Completely clueless here. Hubby is going into hospital next week for a minor keyhole surgery procedure. He is being admitted to Ross Hall in Glasgow, a private BMI healthcare place and has been told to expect to stay overnight. Neither of us have ever been overnight patients in hospital, apart from me giving birth and even then it was a quick discharge.

Am I to assume that they will be more relaxed about visiting than in an NHS hospital? Planning on taking the kids to see him at some point in the afternoon. Who should I be asking for on the phone when I call to see how he is (me staying while he has the op isn't an option) - the ward sister? Assuming not the surgeon. Similarly with discharge the next morning, I will have to take the kids with me to get him, so assuming they won't want me there at the crack of dawn to chuck him out. And they have told him they won't supply post-op pain relief on discharge, won't they just give paracetamol and ibuprofen anyway?

elderberryflower Tue 09-Aug-16 20:29:32

Usually for a planned overnight you'd pack pyjamas, slippers, a wash kit and a book or kindle to keep you occupied. If it's private he'll probably have his own room and en suite. Visiting in the afternoon will depend when the surgery happens and how he is afterwards- ring the ward before you go and they will tell you that's he's ok and if it's ok to visit. The following morning he should be discharged after the ward round so ask the day before what time that is likely to be or get him to text you when they've discharged him. He won't be thrown out of the door- they'll wait for you to get there even if he's sat in the day room rather than still in the bed!

I've had a private prescription from a private hospital before which I paid for at their pharmacy- if it's just paracetamol and ibuprofen just buy some beforehand. Maybe some co codamol if he thinks he might need it.

LunaLoveg00d Wed 10-Aug-16 08:57:43

Thank you :-) Will speak to the nurses when he's admitted as from experience I know they hold all of the power on the wards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now