Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fibroids?? Cancer?!? Panicking!...

(5 Posts)
pankhurst80 Tue 09-Aug-16 12:52:44

Hi I'm just looking for some reassurance really as I'm getting myself into a panic about my health and really need to calm the f down! Please help!

Basically have been having heavy periods the last few months, really knocking me out for the first 1/2 days but just put it down to things not being the same down there since having my son (3). But then have had a bit of bleeding between periods the last couple of cycles, usually 1 week after end of period) so went to doc. She examined me and said cervix appeared ok, had a smear in last couple of years that was ok too. She took a swab and referred me for a pelvic ultrasound next week saying it could be fibroids.

Since going to doc I've been pretty unwell which may be unrelated but I keep getting really worried. I fainted whilst on my last period (to be fair I'd been walking up some steep hills and staircases). Then feeling generally run down. Then the doc prescribed me fluconazole saying they'd found thrush from the swab (no symptoms though). Took the medication on thurs night (just one tablet) and then spent all weekend feeling sick, dizzy, faint and really panicky that something is seriously wrong with me. Belatedly realised the sickness is possibly/probably side effects from the medication but I was feeling so awful at the time that I convinced myself that I have cancer and was running through in my mind how my husband and son will cope without me! Sounds over dramatic I know but I felt so horrific.

Much better now but still having a niggling doubt. Really hoping its fibroids or similar. My mum thinks I'm anaemic too which would explain general tiredness and the fainting.

Sorry for super long detailed post but just need a bit of reassurance as keep getting into a proper panic.

I'm 36 by the way.

Anyone have experience of fibroids that can give me a bit of reassurance? Thanks

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Tue 09-Aug-16 13:06:20

I developed symptoms the same as yourself in my late 30's - tiredness, run down, dizzyness etc and was referred for an ultra sound after everything else was deemed to be ok - and still is!

Was found to have 5 fibroids which caused havoc with my periods for over a decade - the first 36 - 48 hours were total hell. Fainting, vomiting, dizzyness, shakyness, swollen stomach, so much blood loss that I didn't dare leave the house for the first 2 days.

Am now a year past and free of all that and feel so much better.

So, take it easy, focus on making plans for your future with your family. best of luck flowers

angelpuffs Tue 09-Aug-16 13:07:30

My best friend had almost identical symptoms to you which started about 7 years ago. Over the net 2 years her periods got longer and heavier until there were barely any days when she didn't have a period- and she frequently got caught short, having to dash into loos to deal with the bleeding when she was out. She felt very run down. It was fibroids. They were removed successfully and she's been absolutely symptom free for over 5 years now. Xx

pankhurst80 Tue 09-Aug-16 13:46:39

Thanks both of you for taking the time to reply and helping to reassure me a little x

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Tue 09-Aug-16 14:13:57

You're very welcome. It's not easy when dealing with something unknown, and if you're anything like me, the mind tends to run away quite wildly in the small hours of the night, creating a giant out of an ant.

Good luck with next week. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now