Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Brown spotting before period

(14 Posts)
Loadingpleasewait Sun 07-Aug-16 20:33:11

I had been on the pill for over 10 years and stopped 10 months ago as wanted to try and start a family.
My period was regular pretty much straight away.
The last 3 months I have started spotting for upto a week before my period starts. This has been brown and has been quite heavy. Anyone had anything similar?
I am going to try and get a doctors appointment.

MrsT1984 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:34:23

Watching with interest as I've always had this since having Dec and just assumed it was normal!

MrsT1984 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:34:50

*dc

Sandyclaus Sun 07-Aug-16 20:39:37

I'd advise you to go the docs and have a smear test to get it checked out. Could be a cervical erosion - that caused something similar for me.

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:49:46

It could be old blood. It could be cervical erosion.

Loadingpleasewait Sun 07-Aug-16 20:50:48

I only had a smear test last year and it was all fine. Would it not have shown up then?

99percentchocolate Sun 07-Aug-16 20:54:39

My first thought was cervical erosion too. I have it and get spotting a week before I'm due on.
Smear just takes cells, to diagnose cervical erosion they have to look at the cervix. They may not have done this, or the erosion could be so small that they can't see it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 07-Aug-16 20:56:37

I've always had this, completely normal.

Satsumadreams99 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:57:30

I had this - got it investigated and was diagnosed with a Luteal Phase Defect - not enough progesterone to keep the last week of my cycle stable so the womb lining starts breaking down earlier than it should. In both of my pregnancies I then had to supplement with progesterone

Loadingpleasewait Sun 07-Aug-16 21:15:27

Thanks for everyone's replies. I hope it is something that can be treated as it is quite annoying. I have never had any spotted before so it has got me a bit worried.

Loadingpleasewait Sat 22-Oct-16 17:10:49

So had an examination, swabs taking and an ultrasound and has all come back clear which is good. Would still like to know what is causing it though.

Iamthecatsmother Sat 22-Oct-16 22:19:39

I had this for years. Was also struggling to conceive. Had lots of investigations done for infertility and this spotting was also looked into. No cause identified. I had ivf and got pregnant resulting in DS, now 12. Also got pregnant naturally four years later resulting in DD - when this happened I got brown spotting which then stopped when actual period was due. So it didn't have any bearing on fertility, in my case at least.

Tiggy78 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:23:00

I've always had that, ever since my periods started. I assumed everyone else had it too!

pyjamasonbananas Sat 22-Oct-16 22:30:08

never used to have it. has started since having kids, and I DO now have cervical erosion, so I suspect the two are linked...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now