Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cold sores!

(4 Posts)
Norky1975 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:18:14

Huge, huge devil on my lip.
No tingle
No warning at all!
I find Zovirax just dries it - using Compeed patches and it seems a little better this morning.
Think it was triggered by stress.
Any tips ladies? Xxx

Deux Thu 04-Aug-16 10:22:58

I'm prone to cold sores too so you have my sympathies.

For treatment I use Zovirax or the generic as it's cheaper then a Compeed plaster on top.

Sunshine and hormones can trigger mine.

I take a supplement of L-Lysine 1000 mg a day. I don't take it all the time though. Then 3000 mg a day to treat a cold sore. You can get lip salve that has L Lysine in it too.

redannie118 Thu 04-Aug-16 14:54:19

If you dont have to go out (or at bed time)slather it with sudacrem. Ive had coldsores for 30 years and once the sore appears it seems to heal it much quicker

I've got an absolute devil on my top lip that sprung up last night/this morning thanks to stress/TOTM/lack of sleep/giving blood and being generally run down. I used to get them every couple of months but the last one I had (judging by the expiry date on my boots cold sore lotion) was before 2012.
I swear by that lotion and my boots cold sore machine for the fact it's been over 4 years since my last one.
Already mine has scabbed over and the swelling has pretty much vanished. I'd definitely recommend both items and the lotion is only about 1.99.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now