Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian Cyst Pain

(9 Posts)
FloraAshley Wed 03-Aug-16 19:08:55

I've been having moderate to severe pain in my abdomen around ovulation every month and my GP is fairly certain it's a cyst (although having the usual tests to check diagnosis). It lasts for about two weeks getting worse and worse, then going almost overnight!
All she could say with regards to pain was that I could take paracetamol and the occasional ibuprofen. As we are trying to conceive she said I won't want the hormonal treatments.
I was just wondering if anyone else had any tips that helped them get through the pain every month.

PollyPerky Wed 03-Aug-16 19:59:40

Have you had an ultrasound scan for this or not? IMO your GP's not being very proactive by only suggesting pain killers when what you need is a firm diagnosis or not.

If you are waiting for a scan, how long has she said the waiting time is likely to be?

I'd push for a quicker referral- not good you are left in pain like this and undiagnosed.

FloraAshley Wed 03-Aug-16 20:24:09

I saw her today and calling in he morning for a more in depth exam, scan should be at my gp which will be quicker than a hospital referral, but desperate to try anything that will help in the meantime!
She's basically said even if this is he diagnosis there's little they think they can do bar surgery and they don't like recommending that

PollyPerky Wed 03-Aug-16 21:00:50

You really need a gynae or radiologist to scan you not a nurse.

Ovarian cysts usually go away on their own but some kinds linger and they need treatment, as do any over 5cms in size.

FloraAshley Wed 03-Aug-16 21:12:27

Definitely, in going to see what trey say after my scan, but was wondering if anyone had found any pain relief techniques that worked for them. I've seen all sorts of things online and didn't know what to try

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:57:21

If your in pain go to your local A and. They can arrange a scan if your in that much pain - you should not have to grin and bear it while waiting for appointments....

mishmash1979 Wed 03-Aug-16 22:22:38

My experience is if u r in severe pain but they find nothing sinister during investigations then they don't give a flying f**k and recommend ibuprofen and paracetamol

Titsywoo Wed 03-Aug-16 22:34:39

They don't like recommending that? confused

I have had a few ovarian cysts and I have always had an ultrasound fairly quickly then they decide based on that whether to operate. If it is complex (not a simple cyst which is a thin walled fluid filled cyst) or larger than 5-6cm they tend to take them out. It's a minor op usually done by keyhole.

I'd see another GP - she sounds a bit crap tbh.

FoggyMorn Wed 03-Aug-16 22:45:19

A word of warning- if you are trying to conceive, DO NOT use ibuprofen (or other NSAIDs) for pain associated with ovulation. These drugs can stop the follicle rupturing if taken at the wrong time in the cycle, and if the egg isn't released, you won't get pregnant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now