Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Norethisterone tablets...advice needed

(15 Posts)
rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 14:59:58

I needed to take norethisterone for only roughly 4/5 days when my period was due...will probably start my period in roughly same week I would have been due on...never thought of it effecting my next period I am now worried my whole cycle is messed up.
Will my next "natural" period be delayed, stay the same cycle so I'd come on again in a week and a half or in the usual 21 days after my period ...need advice from anyone who's been on these

EffieIsATrinket Wed 03-Aug-16 15:26:22

Period usually comes on after norethisterone stopped.

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:30:15

Yeah but what happens to your next one...will it be delayed or stay the same...never used them b4

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:30:37

confused

EffieIsATrinket Wed 03-Aug-16 15:35:32

Next one usually 4 weeks later - cycle will be reset

fuckweasel Wed 03-Aug-16 15:36:12

Next period will come the normal distance between periods. So 21 days after the delayed period if that's your usual cycle.

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:44:54

smile good...thank u for your advice...doctor said it wouldn't reset so ud have another bleed roughly a week and a half after this one - I didn't think it sounded right hmm

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:49:24

Apparently these tablets don't reset your cycle so I'd be on again not that long after this bleed....talk about kick a lass when she's down! It's not the best time of the month but to get two that close together confused

TheFirie Wed 03-Aug-16 21:00:00

I used to take it when I was a pro swimmer (all the female team did) to avoid having period during races and events. When you stop taking it you bleed but not because you have your period. It doesn't affect your cycle or stop ovulation so it doesn't mess up your period dates if you take it just once.

Saltedcaramelbrownie Wed 03-Aug-16 21:09:09

A few days after taking it you will bleed, and I used to quite painful cramps then too. This is not a real period though, and your next period after that could be just 2 or 3 weeks later, depending on your cycle and date of your last period.

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:11:23

Thank u for your replies....I really appreciate it smile

nc060 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:18:34

I'm taking it just now to reset my cycle as been bleeding constantly for 4 months since getting my coil fitted! Reset cycle was the phrase used by GP! Be warned I'm having terrible bloating with it, very uncomfortable!!

rainbowdrops87 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:21:21

Only used it to just to stop my period from disrupting a weekend getaway...I started 3 days before I was due on and only carried on for a coup of days and decided to stop so it's still more or less in the timescale of when I would be ending my period anyway....so shouldn't disrupt my cycle that much I wouldn't think....im normally very on time with these things and would hate to think I'd messed up hugely

rainbowdrops87 Thu 04-Aug-16 12:14:53

Thanks for the replies

sparkleswithrainbows123 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:46:48

Yeah I was wondering the same....I only took to get me over a weekend festival so took 3days before and stopped on the Sunday so began bleed on Wednesday so only a few days after normal period....now font know when to expect the next one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now