Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hip Pain

(6 Posts)
Itisnotwhatyouknow Sat 30-Jul-16 15:36:58

For the last few months I have had a pain that I can only describe as feeling like a needle going straight into my left hip joint. My skin around the hip also feels very tender/bruised. This is on and off but slowly become more frequent.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Many thanks.

Ragusa Sat 30-Jul-16 15:40:15

Yes, me. Is it very localised, e.g., if you press on the outside of your hip, it hurts? What about when you lie down in bed?

In my case it's something called trochanteric bursitis - it can be treated with an injection of steroid and local anaesthetic..

Having said that hip pain can be caused by lots of things and a doc should be able to give you a proper look-over.

Itisnotwhatyouknow Sat 30-Jul-16 15:46:38

Thanks for responding Ragusa.
When I am in bed the pain eases but the tenderness doesn't. I sometimes find myself rubbing the area.
I think best I see the Dr.

Eastpoint Sat 30-Jul-16 15:49:11

I had trochanteric bursitis too. Had to sleep on the other side & put a pillow between my knees. I went to a physio who referred me to a rheumatologist who subsequently gave me an injection & then 2 months later a second injection.

Hope you get your's sorted, it was very painful.

Ragusa Sat 30-Jul-16 15:58:26

I think if it was bursitis you wouldn't be able to lie on the affected side in bed. Flat on your back, or on the other side, probably fine. Agreed doctor is a good idea.

Like eastpoint I've had mine injected twice and have now identified the culprit - one-sided carrying of a heavy bike (duh) plus a greater than normal leg length discrepancy. The bike carrying I can change..... legs, not so much smile

Eastpoint Sat 30-Jul-16 18:29:37

I have one leg which can get out of position & that's the side that I've had problems with. With me it's also my glutes not firing properly.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now