Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Angina or asthma? help

(10 Posts)
HyacinthBouquetNo1 Fri 29-Jul-16 14:09:47

Just wondering if any wise ones can help shed any light on my symptoms? I went to Dr as I think I am having angina symptoms but Dr also mentioned asthma. I am having spirometry testing in about 10 day’s time.

Anyway, symptoms are chest tightness and pressure and not being able to get a full proper breath in, this happens with any exercise, on a slight incline, on a hill, even up one flight of steps! I have just been on holiday and it was VERY hot and it happened even walking on the flat for a very short distance, it was very difficult to breathe in the hot air.

I have also noticed over the past few months that chemicals and smells seem to set it off, perfume, deodorants, cleaning products, even soap! Not sure if this would happen with angina?

Anyway, to further confuse the situation, I have been investigated by Cardiology about 3 years ago for chest tightness, palpitations, and tachycardia. I have had some T wave inversions on my ECGs and had a coronary angiogram which was clear and was thought to be coronary artery spasm. I am on medication for this and tachycardia.

Just wondered what people thought it was more likely to be, asthma or angina with these symptoms? I am mid-40s, non-smoker, size 14 (so overweight), very inactive because of this and fibro/fatigue. I have no wheeze (that I am aware of) or cough, but these “attacks” can happen numerous times per day, or I can go for some days without any. I am trying to avoid household chemicals at the moment! good excuse for not cleaning grin

Thanks for any opinions.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Sat 30-Jul-16 09:25:18

Anyone??

wfrances Sun 31-Jul-16 14:10:43

ive been suffering tight chest - breathlessness off and on the last 2 years.
had numerous x rays , blood tests , and 2ct scans -all came back normal.
after a episode where my oxygen levels dropped to 80% i was sent to a respiratory consultant and have now been diagnosed as asthma.
if your not symptomatic when you have your lung function test , let them know, as it might give a false result iykwim.
my first test i was feeling fine and blew off the graph so no diagnosis made - blowing when your chest is tight is completely different results.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Wed 03-Aug-16 11:36:40

thanks for replying. Can I ask if you are now on medication and have you noticed any improvement of the breathlessness and tightness?

I am getting quite stressed now about my test, just have to hope I am symptomatic when I do it!

wfrances Wed 03-Aug-16 18:33:15

ventolin and clenil didnt touch me.
so started on fostair , ive now had to double the dose - 4 puffs a day and it seems to be working (touch wood) breathlessness is much better.

PurpleWithRed Wed 03-Aug-16 18:35:39

do you have any digestive problems? reflux?

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Mon 08-Aug-16 11:15:42

Had my spirometry and it was completely normal, very good values, over the predicted for my age, height and weight.

oh well, have to see Dr next week to see what happens next, Dr mentioned being referred back to Cardiology to check out heart again. they are going to be so sick of me, got the feeling last time that they thought I was a nuisance

God I am so sick of being ill and nothing is found, its so frustrating. I am getting very downhearted by it all. I might not bother with the Drs anymore, it just stresses me out and I cannot cope with all this. Got ENT next week too about my balance probs, etc. arrrgh

wfrances Mon 08-Aug-16 15:59:09

were you feeling breathless /tight chest before doing it?

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:13:35

not at the doctors. I was earlier in the morning, I deliberately sprayed myself with Impulse and perfume to cause the tight feeling but by the time I had got to the drs and waited in the waiting room, I felt ok. I should have asked if I could go down the stairs and back before the test! grin

The nurse did mention about trying a reliever inhaler when it happens to see if it helps, something to discuss with Dr next week. I will see what they say

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Tue 06-Sep-16 10:58:51

Just an update in case anyone in the same situation. For the last few weeks I have been doing a trial of GTN spray and a Salbutamol inhaler to see if any help, and I have to report back to Dr at the end of this week.

Anyway, I have been going for a walk and keeping a diary and I can say that the Salbutamol has not made any difference whatsoever to the chest tightness/heaviness and not being able to get a full breath in, but the GTN has worked wonders! I would say a 95-99% improvement if I have a spray before I set off for my walk. I even managed a much longer walk than usual, only downside is the headache it causes.

Anyway, I will see what the Dr says about it but I suppose this points to heart related problem. will update further when I know where we go from here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now