Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is this a bite? (pic included)

(10 Posts)
Tequilamockinbird Thu 28-Jul-16 21:40:03

DD (18) has this on her leg. It's really sore but not itchy.

I think it looks like a bite but she has convinced herself it's DVT!

She's taken an anti-histamine but I don't have any hydrocortisone cream.

So, is it a bite? Or an ingrown hair maybe?

KindDogsTail Thu 28-Jul-16 21:42:13

Midge bites can look like that.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 28-Jul-16 21:47:33

I did immediately think midge actually, but can't see any puncture mark or head on it.

rollonthesummer Thu 28-Jul-16 21:51:01

Could it just be a spot if it hurts?

BluePitchFork Thu 28-Jul-16 21:51:10

ingrown hair, boil possibly.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 28-Jul-16 22:04:57

The area around it is swollen which is why I thought bite. It's also hot to touch.

I think that's why she's convinced herself it's DVT hmm - Dr Google.

Will wait and see what it's like tomorrow. If still the same, I'll take her to the pharmacist.

KindDogsTail Thu 28-Jul-16 22:34:35

I had three midge bites recently. They looked quite like that. They hurt a little almost, more than itched. Was she in a garden or park in the evening?

Is it on the inside of her elbow? That is the sort of place insect bites happen as the skin is very tender there.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 28-Jul-16 22:57:40

No not in pen or garden. She said she woke up his morning and noticed it but it's got more sore and swollen as the day has gone on at work.

It's on the back of her leg, just above her knee. Could quite possibly have been a midge in her room last night and it's bitten her whilst asleep.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 28-Jul-16 22:57:52

park not pen!

KindDogsTail Fri 29-Jul-16 13:28:06

Sorry, yes, behind the knee. You had said. That is a tender spot too. If it is a midge bite it will hurt a bit for a few days then go down. If it is very uncomfortable, could he have some anti-histamine from the chemist?

If it were something infected it would probably swell more and become a darker colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now