Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help with teeth grinding

(5 Posts)
onedayatatime73 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:18:47

I have ground my teeth in my sleep for as long as I remember. I am now in my forties and just want to find a way to make it stop.

I wear a custom made gum shield every night but I grind through it in just a few months and they cost so much money. The over the counter ones just aren't as effective and I just can't keep up with the cost.

Despite wearing one my teeth are still slowly disappearing and getting worn away.

Has anyone found a cure from doing it in the first place? I have looked up various things today. Anyone out there tried acupuncture? Hypnotherapy? Also heard that Botox in the jaw relaxes that muscle?? Anyone???

DarlingCoffee Wed 27-Jul-16 06:52:15

I grind my teeth too, I wish I could stop! Keen to know if there are other things to try in addition to the gum shield

Justaboutafloat Wed 27-Jul-16 13:46:06

I found some specific yoga videos on You Tube that are meant to help. I did them for a week and it seemed to relieve the pain a bit.

My friend has similar problems to you and has just bitten through a £400 indestructable mouthguard in 24 days!!

She is due to start the Botox injections soon. Apparently, they are done once every three months to start, then once every 6 months and then once a year. I haven't heard of anyone who has already tried this.

Karcheer Wed 27-Jul-16 16:28:11

I use a guard, all my teeth are fractured, makes me very sad.
Sorry no answers.

LivingInMidnight Thu 28-Jul-16 20:25:07

I've had Botox for it. It was painful when they injected it but it did really help. It worked for 3 months and I had it twice, but my consultant/professor was worried it was destabilising the joint (I have hypermobility syndrome) so I couldn't continue using it.

Also had acupuncture, physio, cbt and a variety of medication. I didn't have to pay for my splints because the hospital made them.

Might be worth asking for your dentist to refer you to an Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon if you haven't already seen one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now