Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone on Sertraline ?

(4 Posts)
StillMedusa Mon 25-Jul-16 14:23:10

DS2 (19) is on Sertraline for anxiety.He also has OCD and autism and has has sadly had a mental health crisis recently. His sertraline has been doubled to 100mg.. he was previously only on 50mg as he is quite light.

The new dose appears to be helping a bit already..a week in, but I noticed today that he has developed a facial tic..a sort of sideways grimace. Googling suggests that this isn't uncommon, but I wondered if anyone has experience. He is also grinding his teeth at night REALLY badly!

Obviously if he needs it for his anxiety then I suppose side effects are worth it, but I wondered if it will settle as his body adjusts to the new dose or not. He is unaware of it (due to his autism I think!)
Thanks.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 25-Jul-16 14:32:58

I was on it for about 3 mths at the 100mg and had all the side effects. Muscle spasms in legs, weight gain and hair loss.

I guess if those start outweighing the benefits to his MH then I'd ask to try something else. I weaned myself off them in the end as it wasn't worth it for me personally.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 25-Jul-16 16:59:07

Might be worth trying 75mg (the tablets do half) but obviously check with his prescriber. It does sound like its the tablets and hopefully it will settle but a slightly lower dose might help x

bluebelle2662 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:43:39

I'd ride out the side effects if it's beneficial to him, but if they become too much then speak to the docs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now