Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Increase in migraine

(7 Posts)
PhyllisWig Mon 25-Jul-16 06:52:05

I have had migraines with auras occasionally since my 20s. They seem to be triggered by light - very bright sun shining right into my eye down the motorway on one occasion, walking from blazing sunshine into a dark bar which then had a shiny mirror in it was another.
They have been pretty few and far between (one a year if that) but I seem to have had a few more over the last couple of years and had 2 in the last 2 months.
I've never seen the dr about them as they've been so sporadic and just need me to lie somewhere dark and have a sleep. I suffer from health anxiety so having an increase in frequency means I want to go running to the GP now to rule out a brain tumour but the sensible part of me is saying I'm in my early 40s, there could be hormones at play too, give it a few more months and maybe cut down on screen usage.
Any experience/words of wisdom?

Kwirrell Mon 25-Jul-16 07:21:15

I would advise to see your GP, simply because migraine prescriptions have improved so much. I suffered for over 40 years with the OTC medicines. My son and grandson are also sufferers, and my son recommended his prescription.

That was 10 years ago and I have not had a full migraine since. I was lucky that the first tablet I tried worked for me. There are many ones you can try if you don't have any relief with the first one.

Nearlyhadenough Mon 25-Jul-16 08:17:50

My triggers are similar to yours! Bright headlight coming towards me are not good either.

I had infrequent migraines that started to increase when I got to about 36ish. I saw the doctor who sent me for an MRI scan to check things out - all clear. I was prescribed preventative medication and (touch wood!) things have improved.

I still get migraines - but far less frequent.

Go see your GP, then hopefully your mind will be put to rest.

CatherineDeB Mon 25-Jul-16 08:22:11

I had one last week, first one for many years. I think mine is hormonal, periods are getting closer together and heavier and I am nearly 50. Hormones and hot weather I reckon.

I was in bed for a day and a half.

The odds of it being something grim are very very small.

NoonarAgain Mon 25-Jul-16 08:27:26

Hi OP I am similar. My triggers are flashing lights ( eg police cars, disco lights) and hormones. I used to get them every first day of circle and lots after Dc were born. There will v likely be a hormonal cause. Dont worry :-)
Ps I'm now 44 and get maybe one a year. Hormones are clearly changing and I avoid the lights!

Snuggledbythefire Mon 25-Jul-16 08:32:40

Hi OP. I could have written your post. Even down to the health anxiety. Same triggers and the same worries.
Please please please see your GP. The chances of it being something terrible are tiny.
There are so many different tablets around now, it's just a case of trial and error until one is found to suit you.
Please ring for an appointment. Better to be sorted now than wait until it strikes again. flowers

soggyweetabix Tue 26-Jul-16 10:29:03

I am in a similar position, in that mine are becoming more frequent (once every six months as opposed to once every 8-10 years) and have changed in their presentation. I suspect that they are age related (I am 44), but am going to the GP for the first time next week as they have changed in frequency and presentation. I don't imagine that it is anything more than migraine, but, like you, it is best to get these things checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now