Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS Bloating

(22 Posts)
Forsythja Sat 23-Jul-16 19:47:24

Hi

Recently diagnosed with IBS. Stomach bloated and painful. I'm going to try FODMAP diet.

Does anyone have any tips with coping with the bloating? Also thinking of getting some lose yoga or maternity trousers as can't bear anything right round my waist. Any advice please?

Blizy Sat 23-Jul-16 23:58:14

Peppermint tea by the bucket load, I also find a hot bath/hot water bottle can help the pain. Are you taking any meds? Buscopan and colperman help me.

Forsythja Sun 24-Jul-16 09:58:12

Thanks. smile. Yes I'm taking buscapan and tramadol when it flares up (which is getting more and more) and Alverine Citrate twice a day.

Might get some stretchy maternity blush trousers to wear when it gets bad as I don't think the feeling of something tight on my stomach helps.

gingeroots Sun 24-Jul-16 10:30:01

Tramadol causes terrible constipation IME so you might need to bear that in mind .
Hope you can work out a regime to make life bearable .

Feefeefs Sun 24-Jul-16 10:38:31

Tramadol will make bloating much worse. Try to stay away from as much as you possibly can. Yoga, swimming or walking, Any light movement help me the most. Make sure you're eating small regular meals and not skipping meals or overeating.

Forsythja Sun 24-Jul-16 14:28:44

Thank you for the replies

What do you do for pain relief? The pain is awful.

Artistic Sun 24-Jul-16 14:48:12

Lie down on your left side with your left leg stretched out straight & right leg folded up. This position puts pressure on the stomach lightly whilst opening up the passages for wind to pass quietly. I usually do this in front of the TV so that I am distracted. You will find the pain relief to be almost instant but if you lay there for half to an hour the pain might almost subside.

I can't bear to wear anything including knickers at such a painful time, can't walk and don't even want to talk. I dread getting this attack when am alone with kids.

Feefeefs Mon 25-Jul-16 07:47:42

I do similar to artistic and/or try to sleep. Used hot water bottles. Most of the time mine would be at a level where I could walk and that helped the most. I always found painkillers prolonged the attacks. I'm pregnant now so not taking it but was prescribed low dose amiltryptiline not as an antidepressant but for pain control I found that the best taking 20mg every night. I also did cognitive behavioural therapy which was very useful to help manage the pain

ladybagpuss Mon 25-Jul-16 12:38:40

I use a heated pad rather than a hot water bottle as you can adjust the temperature and it's constant if needed. You can get them from Argos or Boots for about £20-30. I can never make links work but if you look up this, it'll give you an idea: Dreamland Intelliheat Multi Purpose Heat Pad

Yes to yoga pants/soft trousers, get the next size up too for extra comfort.

If you haven't thought about it, making kefir is good to help calm your tum and improve it. It doesn't take much work but loads of people swear by it. You even get used to the sour taste after a while!

Hope that helps.

Minime85 Mon 25-Jul-16 17:38:44

Peppermint tea

Forsythja Mon 25-Jul-16 18:45:48

Thank you so much.

Am on the peppermint tea, bought some loose pjs, and some maternity leggings (which are really comfy), have also tried lying on my left as instructed - that does help.

Will try the other things too. When I first got this it was for a few days at a time and then nothing for a few weeks. Now seems like all the time! I'm going to try the FODMAP diet.

Thanks for your comments - I really appreciate your help.

Minime85 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:43:55

Also keep a food diary and see if you notice a correlation. I don't eat wheat and other foods as it it rates my IBS. Fizzy drinks really bad for bloating me so haven't had those for about 20yrs!

P1nkP0ppy Mon 25-Jul-16 19:49:12

I recommend hot water bottle, ibuprofen 400mgs and two Paracetamol plus warm baths.
I totally sympathise op, it's excruciating and even sitting down ups the pain.
I take Buscopan and Colpermin capsules too, but not convinced they help much.

Everytimeref Mon 25-Jul-16 19:56:01

FODMAP really worked for me but I do find it extremely difficult to stick to it!

MugsLife Tue 26-Jul-16 10:33:11

Peppermint tea is so good isn't it! I used to put two bags in when it was really bad. The smell of lavender oil and a nice relaxing bath work for me too.

I recently started avoiding foods with emulsifiers and increasing the vareity of fibres in my diet. There's some evidence that food emulsifiers break down the protective mucus in the gut and affect gut bacteria (the scientists say this has a link with obesity, but I wonder if there might be a link to ibs too). My tummy certainly seems happier and much less bloated. Caveat: I haven't properly had painful ibs for a long time, but I often get very bloated.

juneau Tue 26-Jul-16 10:41:33

I cut out wheat and found that helped massively. I also take a probiotic supplement every day (Optibac capsules x2), which helps a lot with the wind and bloating. Yes, peppermint tea and ginger tea are both good. Fizzy drinks, spicy food, aubergines, peppers, etc - I avoid. All give me horrible crampy pains and/or diahorrea.

Managing constipation is key to managing the pains IME. Make sure you drink plenty of water every day, eat plenty of fruit/veg, and if you feel you need extra fibre then a Fybogel sachet dissolved in water before bed can help. An extra one at breakfast time will assist if that still doesn't get things moving every day. Beware changes to your routine! Travel of any kind - even to my parents' house, usually causes trouble. Make sure you follow your routine religiously (when you find one that works) and take your supplements/tea bags/etc with you. I always take PJ bottoms, leggings and loose jersey dresses to wear as they're most comfortable when things are bad.

juneau Tue 26-Jul-16 10:44:56

Oh and avoid anything containing 'sulphites'. I've found they give me horrible pains and gas. Dried fruit nearly always has them in, so check labels religiously.

gingeroots Tue 26-Jul-16 12:27:40

Just googled in case any one else is interested - rings a bell for me

Foods which may contain added sulphites include (check labels):

pickled foods and vinegar
dried fruit eg dried apricots, prunes, raisins etc
maraschino cherries
tinned coconut milk
beer, wine and cider
vegetable juices
some soft drinks
grape juice
bottled lemon juice and lime juice
condiments (bottled sauces etc.)
guacamole
dehydrated, pre-cut or peeled potatoes
fresh or frozen prawns
some processed meat products

Forsythja Mon 08-Aug-16 19:52:10

I've invested in some Colpermin. Do you take them all the time or just when you don't feel well?

Minime85 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:03:58

I never got on with them (tmi) I found they made my bum burn blush

Forsythja Mon 08-Aug-16 21:10:34

Oh no.... I took one earlier ....blushgrin

user1470821493 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:22:40

My old flatmate suffered with bloating terribly (I was always convinced she had IBS, but never got a diagnosis). So much so that it affected her mood and she would be really angry a lot of the time when she was bloated.

She tried FODMAP and the difference has been life changing. As a result I've also realised how certain foods (garlic especially) make my bloating a lot worse. I'd recommend the FODMAP to anyone, even just to realise what foods are making the bloating the worst. Hope it helps you too! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now