Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have oesophagal spasm?

(6 Posts)
Thecatgotmytongue Fri 22-Jul-16 04:57:20

I think I may have this - thought at first it was heart problems, but doctor did an ecg, everything was fine.

My doctor has given me omeprazole but I don't think it's reflux.

Has anyone found relief from this, anything at all that helps?

mumof2kiddos Fri 22-Jul-16 07:44:41

I also think I had for a year or 2. Whole throat gets a terrible squeezing feeling with pain radiating to left chest, arms, jaws and even back of the head. And bringing up sour fluid at some point of these episodes!! I too thought it as a heart problem, got multiple ecg which were all ok. Then I was given omeprazole however No one said about oesophagal spasm, it was my own diagnosis. However I did have an endoscopy done and all was ok. For the last few months, I have noticed less of it, I strongly think it is very much anxiety related. I definitely have anxiety issues, get all sorts of weird pains and aches. I have been prescribed amitriptiline for that and I think it might be just succeeding in taking out the edge from all these physical symptoms.
Do you also suffer from anxiety issues?

Thecatgotmytongue Fri 22-Jul-16 16:59:09

Yes, I suffer with anxiety too, but am not particularly anxious when it happens - until I start panicking! I'm taking Sertraline.

I don't get reflux or heartburn.

I get pain in my head too. Sometimes the pain is in my chest, sometimes in my lower throat.

Holdtheslaw Fri 22-Jul-16 17:00:28

I do - food would get stuck - it was a hiatus hernia

Holdtheslaw Fri 22-Jul-16 17:01:34

Do not take omeprazole- there's a lot of bad things coming out about that drug. I had drug induced lupus from it. Ask for ranitidine

Thecatgotmytongue Fri 22-Jul-16 19:51:48

Thanks, I'll ask the doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now