Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's this scabby lump on my head?

(12 Posts)
stonecircle Wed 20-Jul-16 23:16:56

A couple of weeks ago I went to the hairdressers and was conscious that she kept dragging the brush over a sore bit on my scalp. Very sore afterwards.

I hadn't been aware of it beforehand so I don't know if it's something I had when I went in or if she was overly vigorous with the brushing and caused it.

It feels like a hard dry lump - about 1cm in diameter and it has a raised ridge which I've tried to pick at to see if I can prise it off, but it doesn't seem to give like a normal scab. Annoyingly it's on the top of my head so I can't see it properly. DH took a photo for me and it's like a white/yellowy crust. It was very itchy but hasn't been after one or two applications of hydrocortisone.

I though it would eventually loosen like a scab but it isn't and would hurt I think to try and scratch it off.

I don't think it's psoriasis - no problems elsewhere. I wondered about cradle cap and I've just done the thing with a cotton bud soaked in olive oil to see if I can loosen it (used to work on ds) but no joy. If it was just a dry patch I could keep putting cream on it but it's a raised lump and is really annoying me!

Any ideas anyone?

VanillaSugar Wed 20-Jul-16 23:28:11

I've got one. It's like a wart. Don't tout it and leave it alone. They're quite common.

fusspot66 Wed 20-Jul-16 23:30:54

Show it to a doctor or nurse. The scalp is prone to sun damage.

BikeRunSki Wed 20-Jul-16 23:35:24

Sebaceous cyst?

stonecircle Wed 20-Jul-16 23:41:17

It's not like a wart. I had a sebaceous wart removed from my chest and it's not like that.

BrillianaHarvey Wed 20-Jul-16 23:55:29

Sounds like something I've experienced on and off, usually in hot weather. Is it a bit weepy if you scratch and pick? Do you suffer, even intermittently from eczema? What's worked for me has been either turbo-charged steroids from the GP (aargh) or magic pills from a homeopath (oddly, since clearly there can be no scientific justification for homeopathy, unless you take the view that George V couldn't be wrong).

stonecircle Thu 21-Jul-16 00:27:41

Yes it was a bit weepy when it first appeared if I scratched it. But then it formed a rock solid lump. Never had eczema though!

Actually. It turns out that the olive oil did soften it and I've just been picking of grey waxy like bits. It's left a sore red patch on my scalp which is still a bit raised. I need to go to the doctor I think!

SoleBizzz Thu 21-Jul-16 00:47:01

I get scabs upon my scalp sometimes. I wonder what they are.

EBearhug Thu 21-Jul-16 00:51:28

I have quite thin hair, and I have burnt my scalp in the sun before, to the point it blisters and scabs. (Tend to wear a sunhat these days.) Have you been out in the sun?

stonecircle Thu 21-Jul-16 00:57:21

It started at least a couple of weeks ago and it's only been hot here for a few days so I'm sure it's not sun related.

SealSong Thu 21-Jul-16 19:23:04

Sebborheic dermatitis of the scalp is my guess. I have had this and it sounds like what you're experiencing.

throwingpebbles Thu 21-Jul-16 19:32:59

My boy has a funny weeping spot on his head, which scabs and crusts over but then he scratches it. He had several a couple of months ago then they cleared up

I have a weird hard lump on mine. Not sure if they have similar causes or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now