Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Split fungal toenail

(11 Posts)
Callmesausage Wed 20-Jul-16 10:50:10

Hi, would appreciate some advice. I have 3 nails on my foot that are fungal. I've been to the doctor who has asked me to take clippings and these have been sent off to the lab. Once it's confirmed, the doctor said I would need medication for several months to get rid of it.

To today; I caught one on the nails on my jeans and it has completely split down the middle, with the two halves attached to the base of the toe. I'm not sure what to do now as they will probably be ripped off if they brush against anything. Any advice?
Thanks

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 20-Jul-16 11:19:51

Cut it down as far it is comfortable to do so.
My partner has ongoing problems with fungal nails and they are very brittle and he cuts them down.
There is a new treatment where you take the tablets for one week and then another week later on...sorry can't remember the exact dosing instructions. This cleared DH nails but they came back when he wore cheap non breathable shoes again!

Callmesausage Wed 20-Jul-16 21:51:17

Thanks nk

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:19:45

Put a plaster over it, top of toe to base not wrapped around the toe. As long as the matrix isn't damaged you should be fine.

AmberGreyson Thu 18-Aug-16 15:15:31

Cut it off (if it's possible) or use patch or bandage. It's very hard to get rid of toenail fungus. I had it and I used laser treatment. It is an absolutely painless procedure, however it does not work well on severely damaged nails.

PollyPerky Thu 18-Aug-16 16:51:47

Out of interest Amber how many treatments were needed? The London Laser Clinic is showing £199 for 2 sessions plus a consultation fee of £79.

AmberGreyson Tue 30-Aug-16 12:25:22

I just make a suggestion PollyPerky , one my friend suffered with fungus about 5 years

LanaorAna1 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:34:02

This is one of those posts that really isn't authorised medical advice, but it worked to rid me of 20 years of cursed yellow toenail.

Rip the bits of nail off. Then scrub the nail bed to get rid of the crumbly yellow bits. Apply athlete's foot cream vigorously to nail bed, repeat after shower, pressing it in at the nail bed. Hey presto (six weeks later) you get a nice normal toenail back.

Footle Tue 30-Aug-16 13:00:26

Chiropodist. You're risking a lot if you try to diy.

Footle Tue 30-Aug-16 13:01:56

Hope you're not diabetic. If so, doctor obviously.

PollyPerky Tue 30-Aug-16 13:29:51

There is a lot on the web about home remedies. A chiropodist will only remove the nail and the new nail might grow back infected.

The fungus is the same one that causes athletes foot.

I am using Listerine as a foot bath, which contains camphor, eucalyptus and thyme oil - all of which are anti fungal- and tea tree oil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now