Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent referral to gynecologist- I'm terrified

(9 Posts)
ChasingMars Mon 18-Jul-16 20:07:14

Background is, I have had some light bleeding after sex, very heavy and painful periods, rapid weight gain and mid cycle bleeding. GP has today made an urgent referral for me and I'm really really scared. I know it could be a dozen things beside cancer but I am still so worried. Is there anyone out there who has been through this and can hand hold??

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Mon 18-Jul-16 20:24:47

Yes, very very similar. I had bleeding after sex for years which got increasingly worse. Extremely painful and heavy periods and spotting in between. Took years to get a referral and after a laparoscopy, the bleeding was due to a problem with my cervix which was sorted with diathermy.
Hope you're ok flowers

rosie39forever Mon 18-Jul-16 20:31:57

I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago, and the waiting is horrible because you imagine all sorts. The first thing they will do is an ultrasound scan and maybe a blood test, the scan should pick up anything obvious. I had a uterine biopsy while I was there which was no worse than a smear, if it's any consolation the gyne told me over 95 per cent of women he sees he never has to see again as its prob hormone related or something easily treated.
Try not to worry easier said than done I know.

ChasingMars Mon 18-Jul-16 20:33:53

Thanks Mum. At least I have a quick referral though. Still scary, I am usually boringly healthy

ChasingMars Mon 18-Jul-16 20:34:37

Thanks Rosie. Hope you are ok now x

Orchidflower1 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:42:16

I went through the same thing earlier in the year. Under nhs guidelines they have to do two week referral as its policy. Mine is hormones related. Had two scans and very relieved. Hand holding xx

ChasingMars Mon 18-Jul-16 20:45:58

Thank you orchid xxx

rosie39forever Mon 18-Jul-16 20:48:43

Thanks yes am fine was hormone related peri menopause so am going to try a mirena coil hopefully will help, good luck hope all goes well. X

ChasingMars Tue 19-Jul-16 11:16:24

Thank you all. Feel a bit better now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now