Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this impetigo? (Repulsive pic included).

(25 Posts)
MarmiteMakesMeHappy Sat 16-Jul-16 10:58:41

Sorry for picture - it's pretty revolting, but just want to get rid of this as quickly as possible.

Started with what felt like a small spot on my nose on Wednesday. By the evening and after a bit of poking at it the whole area felt a bit tender. I was woken up in the night by a sensation of throbbing and general discomfort in the nose and it started to feel a bit wet (boak).

Friday morning and there was a patch of leaking watery blisters and my nose was bright red, shiny and hard. It felt infected so I went to the doctors who was very quick and unspecific and gave my oral antibiotics.

Much crust user this morning and the reason I'm asking is because I am not sue whether I should be leaving the crust, or, if it is impetigo, loosening to get some off the shelf anti-b lotion to it. Dr Google suggests I should be doing this, but human doctor didn't mention it. Plus I don't even know if it's impetigo.

It's gross and I'm sorry if you've just eaTen smile

Cocolepew Sat 16-Jul-16 11:01:32

Looks like it to me, you shouldn't be poking it! It will spread if you do.

Floggingmolly Sat 16-Jul-16 11:04:53

Oh, it looks awful sad. Can the doctor really not diagnose it??

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Sat 16-Jul-16 11:11:57

Doctor just peered it and agreed it was an infection of some sort and gave me antibiotics.

Which would be fine except that Dr Google is very clear that I should be soaking the scab off and applying lotion to the raw skin underneath. This sounds a) painful and b) wrong so I am just being crusty and scabby and scaring my family away at the moment.

I just want to do what ever clears it up quickest.

Cocolepew Sat 16-Jul-16 11:13:25

The anti bs, will help clear it up, the only other thing would be to get anti biotic cream, but seriously dont try to loosen it, use separate towels etc too.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Jul-16 11:23:10

I have NEVER heard of soaking and picking off scabs from impetigo , in fact I was always under the impression you don't touch it AT ALL!confused

The antibiotics should do the trick. Clean towel and clean pillow case every day to minimise spreading it to the family.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 16-Jul-16 11:25:04

Are you on flucloxacillin 500s? You should be. Yes that looks like impetigo and if you are going to lift the scabs do it in the bath or shower after much soaking! Don't touch at all at any other time and don't share towels/flannels etc with anyone. Hope it clears up soon.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 16-Jul-16 11:29:49

I get something that looks similar on my nose. Mine is a cold sore and it is hideous. It spreads like wildfire across my face and I get cellulitis too sad. How do you feel in yourself? Do you feel ill/hot/run down etc? Poor you. Whatever it is it looks so sore flowers.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sat 16-Jul-16 11:32:53

Yes it is. Naseptin cream will clear that up. I'm not sure if you can buy it OTC but worked a treat on my DD

Badders123 Sat 16-Jul-16 11:34:00

Yep that's impetigo
DO NOT touch it!!
It's very infectious
Use separate towels etc
Also change your pillowcases each night

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Sat 16-Jul-16 11:36:54

Yes I am on flucloxacillin.

I am not touching it but was thrown by so many websites telling me I should be soaking the crust off in order to apply antibacterial lotion directly to the skin underneath.

I don't actually have any lotion as the doctor just gave me oral antibiotics.

Yes changing pillowcases and towels. And my children and DH don't want to come anywhere near me grin

It's a bit itchy now - does that also fit with impetigo?

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Sat 16-Jul-16 11:38:51

Should I ask for lotion/cream as well then?

glasgowlass Sat 16-Jul-16 11:39:58

Ouch that looks very raw! Do not poke, prod or pick at it. Agree you need separate fresh towels, bedding etc. Try to stay out of direct sunlight as that may hinder the healing process.
The antibiotics will clear it. DS1 has has impetigo twice, the thing that worked for him was Fucidin cream but IIRC that is not available OTC but a pharmacist may be able to prescribe it for you.
Hopen you feel better soon.

Cocolepew Sat 16-Jul-16 11:43:59

Yes the itchy fits.

Badders123 Sat 16-Jul-16 11:45:09

The fr told me that they do the 10 days of abx now as the cream just isn't effective
Dh and ds1 very prone to it I'm afraid

Badders123 Sat 16-Jul-16 11:45:17

Dr even!

glasgowlass Sat 16-Jul-16 11:45:27

I would ask for a topical antibiotic too. Oral antibiotics are usually prescribed for severe cases or when topical abs haven't worked. It wouldn't do any harm to use both.
YY to the itching DS1 was driven crazy with the itching, it will settle down just resist any urge to scratch!

FelicityBennett Sat 16-Jul-16 12:40:22

If you are on oral antibiotics do not use topical. It increases chances of resistance . The oral antibiotics should do job. Keep an eye on it and if no improvement or worsening ie spreading redness or high temps you must be seen again .

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Sat 16-Jul-16 12:46:56

Thanks Felicity. I was just looking to see if we had any Fucidin in the house (I have vague memories of a tube being somewhere). But if it going to hinder the healing, I'll leave it.

It's so horrible to look at I can see my DC recoil as they talk to me.

MyMurphy Sat 16-Jul-16 12:48:24

Looks like impetigo to me sad

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sat 16-Jul-16 12:56:04

Leave it and just take oral (am a GP). We only give topical if looks mild and not spreading too fast. To use both would be overkill and increase resistance as felicity said.

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Sat 16-Jul-16 13:46:21

Thanks Furby. It's amazing how reassuring the words "I am a GP" can be smile

Thanks for all the help people. I know it's not serious but when somethings on your face, you just want it gone!!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 17-Jul-16 19:05:34

My pleasure- didn't want to sound school-maamish (if that's even a word!). Hope it clears up quickly. wink

Fuckoffdailymailnobs Mon 18-Jul-16 10:33:10

I'm on immune suppressant meds for inflammatory arthritis and suddenly started getting impetigo. It is so so horrid. I didn't know what it was first time and delayed going to gp and got roundly told off. I got oral anti biotic and fucidin. Perhaps got both because immune suppressed?? or she hasn't got the memo about both

midnightlurker Mon 18-Jul-16 10:40:29

You don't need to do anything except take the Flucloxacillin. I have just had much worse as the result of an infected spot (had spread quite some distance in 24hrs!!). I left well alone and it has healed well despite being quite scary at the point when I started medication. I have been taking the tablets bang on 6 hourly to be sure of most effective action though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now