Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pre cancerous cells

(4 Posts)
nevis42 Thu 14-Jul-16 15:09:47

My 25yr old had her first smear and today she had to attend an appointment at the hospital. They have discovered a fair number of abnormal cells in her cervix. They now plan to operate asap to remove them then in 6 months have another smear to check. I'm really worried for her. Has anyone else been in the same situation please? I'd like to be able to reassure her she'll be fine

pinkieandperkie Thu 14-Jul-16 15:20:42

I am sorry to hear your daughter is going through this. Yes over ten years ago a smear test revealed pre cancerous cells. I had to have the cells zapped with a laser and then smears every six months for two years. Everything was fine.

EttaJ Thu 14-Jul-16 15:30:10

Sorry to hear that OP but same as Pinkie, I was laser zapped and cut away , colposcopy, and told to have annual smears for 10 years. That was 7 years ago. It didn't hurt at all. Good that they've caught them now. From speaking to friends it's not uncommon. I know it's easy to say but try not worry.

spacechimp Thu 14-Jul-16 17:46:43

Same here. Colposcopy and LLETZ treatment (loop excision) to remove abnormal cells after routine smear 9 years ago and then annual smears and all ok since then. It is more common than people think and though unsettling and worrying, that one excision treatment is successful 95%-98% of the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now