Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden and persistant low level dizziness/slight lack of balance

(15 Posts)
politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 20:54:44

I went to bed feeling normal on Monday, didnt notice anything abnormal when I woke up but by mid morning I noticed I felt a bit funny...hard to describe but just a bit off and faintly dizzy and off balance. I feel almost normal except every now and again I will feel my head spin or wobble off balance.

The best way I can describe it is the dizziness you feel when youve just got off a roundabout in the park and almost feel back to normal.

I have had a quick google and read about possible causes. I havent had a cold recently although my DC have had a nasty one so possibly I have been exposed to a virus although no symptoms. My toddler headbutted me about 2 weeks ago and gave me a black eye so I suppose that could count as a head injury which ive read can cause vertigo. I am bf my toddler ds and probably dont drink enough however I dont feel thirsty so dont think its dehydration. Also had 18 months of crap sleep so im pretty exhausted and touched out generally but thats nothing new and dont know if thatd cause it. Any ideas anyone?

I do feel a bit worried and been trying to forget about it but every time I think its gone my head goes again...

politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 20:56:56

Just realised my title sounds way more dramatic than it actually is so please ignore that. It is sort of barely there and I feel normal for the most part. Just a bit off and the head spins really are quite faint

Marthacliffscumbag Wed 13-Jul-16 21:00:07

Sounds like vertigo, I started with it about 5 years ago completely out of the blue, mri ruled out anything serious but it's exactly as you describe. Mine is made worse rolling over in bed, tiredness, caffeine and sugar all make mine worse too. I went to see an ENT surgeon who prescribed me a course of exercises to do when it's really bed, they are called 'epley manouveres' you can watch the video on you tube and do them yourself at home, obviously I don't reccommend if you're not diagnosed.
I manage mine well and as a result haven't had a bad spell for almost 2 years.

politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 21:02:08

Oh god I was really hoping it wouldnt be that...really hoping it wont get worse. Do you ever feel "normal"? And is it safe to drive? I feel safe at the moment...

nuttymango Wed 13-Jul-16 21:03:14

labyrinthitis? can't spell it! You need to tell DVLA.

buckingfrolicks Wed 13-Jul-16 21:04:20

anaemia did that to me

PortiaCastis Wed 13-Jul-16 21:06:17

I have low blood pressure which can make me dizzy. Also not drinking enough fluids can cause me to wobble a bit. Go and get it checked out though.

Marthacliffscumbag Wed 13-Jul-16 21:09:01

Yes I feel 'normal' most of the time, except when I get a cold which causes the inner ear to swell and bring on a bout. I'm scrupulous about health and exercise and it seems to have worked but I'm never complacent because I know it can come back with a vengeance. It was a pretty rough few months though from the onset to diagnosis and then treatment, worse few months of my life in fact.

politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 21:09:41

Thanks for the replies - yes my dp had labrynthitis but I remember him being unable to even stand without feeling really nauseous too and I dont feel nauseous at all touch wood. Think i'll pin my hopes on anemia for now as at least thats easily treatable...how long would you give it before seeing a doctor? Was going to wait until next week?

Marthacliffscumbag Wed 13-Jul-16 21:10:37

I agree with other posters who are mentioning low blood pressure/anaemia, that's exactly what it feels like and I was tested for both, both came back normal. Fingers crossed it's one of those! Much easier to treat!

politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 21:14:42

Really sorry to hear that martha Im glad youre on top of it now, and its good to hear there are effective ways of managing it. Hope it continues to stay at bay for you.

Thanks portia sounds like it could be a few things then, i'll make an appointment. I have been anaemic before so could be a possibility although am panicking a bit having read that even a minor head injury can bring on vertigo as the headbutt my ds gave me really did hurt quite a bit and is an obvious recent link.

politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 21:17:11

Thanks martha fingers crossed, I suppose only the doctor can confirm but really appreciate everyone's advice

Marthacliffscumbag Wed 13-Jul-16 21:36:15

Ironically the ENT surgeon I saw was a vertigo sufferer too after taking a knock on the head during a rugby match so you're in good company!

politicalpolitics Wed 13-Jul-16 21:48:17

Haha oh god a real life example then...DS would have a lot to answer for!

I have had another quick goggle and I have almost every symptom of anaemia...DP was just moaning/wondering about my massive hair loss so could be onto something there...

GEM3A Wed 13-Jul-16 22:28:40

I had something similar at the start of the year. It was more of a niggle than anything serious. If I forgot about it I didn't seem to notice, as soon as I thought about whether I still felt dizzy/lightheaded I noticed it again and it was hard to shake the feeling. I thought it was my ears but I got them checked and they were fine, also had a blood test and nothing found. In the end it was put down to stress/anxiety even though I didn't think I was particularly stressed at the time. Looking back now I can see I probably was quite stressed but didn't recognise it at the time. As soon as that stressful event ended funnily enough most of my strange symptoms did too! Not sure if that relates to you but thought I'd share my experience as your symptoms sound so similar to mine. Hopefully your GP can give you some answers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now