Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Insect bite - do I need to see a nurse?

(6 Posts)
fortifiedwithtea Wed 13-Jul-16 13:24:34

Gnats seem to love my blood and I usually react badly.

Monday evening I got bitten twice on the ankle. One actually made a hole in my skin and bled shock Since then my ankle has swollen hugely, is very hot, itchy and is stiff to walk on because the skin is so swollen.

I am rubbing in anthisan and taking puritan. Gives me a little relief but not much. The redness is spreading up my leg.

I'm thinking of drawing a pen mark a round it and going to see a nurse if it spreads further. Does anyone think I might need an antibiotic?

Hiddenaspie1973 Wed 13-Jul-16 13:29:04

Go see your nurse. You may be developing cellulitis which can cause skin to die off if left.
I had similar so get antibiotics please.

museypants Wed 13-Jul-16 13:31:26

I definitely agree with hidden
Get thee to a doctor.

fortifiedwithtea Wed 13-Jul-16 13:54:36

Bloody hell, just googled cellulitis shock That's me to a tee.

I have rung gp, got an apt with a nurse (no doctors available) who can prescribe if necessary. Apt at 4.40pm

Thanks hidden and Museypants flowers

fortifiedwithtea Wed 13-Jul-16 20:26:56

Shit, shit shit.

Nurse asked for doctor opinion. I'm told its too soon to be infected. Take a different anti-histamine and draw a line around the swelling.

Told to go back if swelling spreads and especially if lines tracking up the leg.

Swelling has crept over the pen line. Fuck its going to turn nasty isn't it angry

creamoftomato Wed 13-Jul-16 20:30:13

No panic, just head back to doc now. Time for antibiotics. You're the second person on here this week with the same thing! I've had cellulitis twice from insect bites and have lived to tell the tale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now