Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Testing for h pylori

(12 Posts)
marilynmonroe Mon 11-Jul-16 22:23:22

I'm convinced I have got a stomach ulcer. I have lots of burning pain in my stomach. Been to docs who wants to test me for the above. I had been taking Lanzoprezole (sp?) for 3 days but had to come off them to do a stool sample. He said I would have to wait 2 weeks before giving the sample. It's been nearly a week now and I'm in a lot of pain. Do I really need to wait another week before doing a sample? I'm not sure that I can wait that long.

Anyone else been in this situation?
Thanks

Nerris Mon 11-Jul-16 22:27:07

I had this tested recently. My dr told me i could take rinitadine for my gastric problems whilst waiting the 2 weeks as it doesnt affect results like the other medication i had been prescribed (omeprazole?). You can but rinitadine over the counter at boots.

Nerris Mon 11-Jul-16 22:28:30

*buy

Also i took 150mg morning and evening. Has definitely helped.

MrSlant Mon 11-Jul-16 22:29:58

Strange but true pineapple can really help with the burning of reflux, I would double check that it's okay with the test first if possible though. Can you mainline gaviscon or will that be a problem too? Sorry it's ages since I had the test and I can't remember. Actually I don't remember being told not to take stuff so that's a worry grin.

flamingtoaster Mon 11-Jul-16 22:41:11

I have an antibiotic resistant form of H.Pyl. There are lots of natural ways to relieve the gastritis/ulcer symptoms which shouldn't affect the results. A German remedy is to make a strong cup of Chamomile tea, let it cool to body heat temperature, drink it on an empty stomach and then "roll" it - i.e. lie on your left side for five minutes, right side for five minutes, back for five minutes and front for five minutes. This lets the Chamomile tea bathe the whole stomach area. It is very, very soothing.

After four failed attempts at the antibiotic triple therapy I had to find natural ways to reduce the amount of H.Pyl. Don't do these before the test but if you find you have the antibiotic resistant strain then manuka honey (straight off the spoon, mustn't be in hot water) kills H.Pyl. and will help get it down to a manageable level. Mastic gum capsules also work really well - that's an ancient Greek remedy for digestive problems. Some people have managed to eradicate completely with Mastic Gum but I didn't although it produced a massive improvement.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon.

marilynmonroe Tue 12-Jul-16 07:31:25

that's good to know Nerris. I will go to the pharmacy today and ask. I did mainline gaviscon last night and had a much better sleep. Only woke up once in pain.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 12-Jul-16 07:37:11

Chew some gum- so effective for acid stomach.

PollyCoddle Tue 12-Jul-16 07:40:28

Can you do a breath test instead? I had to avoid all remedies but only for 7 days.

marilynmonroe Tue 12-Jul-16 20:28:15

Wasn't offered the breath test. Went into a pharmacy today who told me that since I only took 3 days worth lanzoprezole then it should be out of my system. So will give same tomorrow if bowels play ball.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 13-Jul-16 17:59:59

Breath test not available any more in many areas.

LostPlatypus Wed 13-Jul-16 19:01:50

I was told by my GP that I couldn't do a breath test because the Lanzoprazole would affect the result, but that a stool sample while on Lanzoprazole was fine. confused

PollyCoddle Sat 16-Jul-16 12:40:08

Oh well sorry. I just found the breath test so easy except not having water to drink that morning. I'm not in uk tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now