Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Liquid Folic Acid? Any pharmacists about?

(7 Posts)
Katymac Mon 11-Jul-16 17:54:34

I was prescribed liquid folic acid by the GP as I had some absorption issues.

I think I need to take it again but the pharmacy can't remember giving me liquid & I 'must' have had tablets

Now I'm fairly sure I had liquid it tasted a bit 'odd' - can I buy it over the counter and what brand/make should I look for?

Katymac Tue 12-Jul-16 08:42:11

Bump

outputgap Tue 12-Jul-16 08:44:00

I have taken it but it's only on prescription.

Can't you get a repeat from the GP?

Katymac Tue 12-Jul-16 09:07:52

It's tricky

They would want me to have an appointment (3-4 week wait), then a blood test (another week for the results) & another appointment (so even if I book that at the first appointment it will be 6-8 weeks before I get any)

So I thought as it's a vitamin I could just buy it?

outputgap Tue 12-Jul-16 09:25:23

Gosh, that's terrible.

I took high dose folic acid, but only during pregnancy. Do you mind me asking if you're pregnant, because that time delay isn't acceptable if so. They won't do a repeat on the phone?

Katymac Tue 12-Jul-16 12:18:43

not pregnant - I just have absorbtion issues

I can generally tell when I am short of something iyswim

Katymac Wed 13-Jul-16 20:09:52

I went into a pharmacy today & they didn't have the right one for me - the dosage was too low and aimed at pregnant people rather than at deficiency situations so I've made an appointment to see how I go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now