Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What has happened to my tongue?! Burning mouth, or something else...?

(6 Posts)
snottagecheese Mon 11-Jul-16 09:48:48

Since Friday afternoon my tongue has been increasingly sore, as though I've scalded it on a hot drink/food, but I haven't. There's nothing visible on it other than a few very small red spots on one side, and the edges look a bit crinkled. I don't think it can be thrush as it's a normal pink colour, though a tiny bit white at the very back. I also have acid reflux at the back of my throat, and things don't taste quite right - food and drink but also my toothpaste, which tastes disgusting! And it hurts to eat.

Any ideas? Of course I have googled and convinced myself of the worst (burning mouth can apparently last for years and years). Can anyone give me hope that it's something more minor/short term? TIA! x

fuzzywuzzy Mon 11-Jul-16 11:27:00

sounds like thrush to me, go to GP.

Have you been on antibiotics or any kind of meds recently? I get oral thrush when I am on antibiotics. and my mouth goes bright red and tongue burns.

Mrsmorton Mon 11-Jul-16 11:29:30

Pine nuts?
Could be burning mouth? Dentist is a good bet if GP can't help.

snottagecheese Mon 11-Jul-16 11:30:48

Oh, interesting, thanks! Can it be thrush without any white/yellow coating though? I always thought that was how thrush manifested (visibly, anyway). I haven't been on any antibiotics for about 18 months, though I am quite run down.

snottagecheese Mon 11-Jul-16 11:40:52

Pine nuts? As in an allergy, you mean? I haven't knowingly eaten any, and have eaten them before without any reaction, but I suppose it's possibly I could have developed an allergy in the interim...

I did have something similar (without the reflux) last time I was pregnant, in the very early days (about 4 weeks in, IIRC), but I think that's just a coincidence. Really, really hope I'm not pregnant - very unlikely and really not in my plans!!

fuzzywuzzy Mon 11-Jul-16 11:43:27

Well POAS first then whilst you wait for GP appointment. At least you can tick it off your list (or not as the case may be)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now