Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prolapse pessary ring

(4 Posts)
Mummyoftwo91 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:39:01

Has anyone had one fitted and what was their experience like?

NoHaudinMaWheest Mon 11-Jul-16 10:59:22

I had one for a number of years as I wasn't in a position to have surgery.
There are different kinds but the standard one was quite comfortable once we had got the right size which took a few goes.
Get the person who fits you to show you how to take it out and put it in yourself. They do occasionally fall out and it is easier if you can replace it yourself. Also better for sex if that's relevant.
It doesn't prevent the prolapse getting worse and I did eventually have surgery which is much more satisfactory.

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 11-Jul-16 15:31:46

I would prefer the surgery the pessary seems like such a faff but due to my age I don't think they will refer me for it even though I'm done having children, can you feel the pessary during sex? And sorry if tmi but I feel my walls are very lax would a pessary make things feel tighter again? I've done pelvic floors for a solid year till I'm blue in the face!

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 15-Jul-16 10:45:39

Sorry for not getting back sooner.
Sex is better if you take it out first which is the main reason for learning to do it yourself.
Pessary didn't do much for the walls as far as I remember but did help the 'falling out' feeling a lot.
You are probably younger than me as surgery was the first thing I was offered. At first I wasn't absolutely sure that I didn't want any more children and then ds became ill and I wasn't free to take time off.
Never found that pelvic floor exercises helped and one nurse said I was to far gone for them to be worth bothering with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now