Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

52 Small Changes - Week 29

(14 Posts)
NightWanderer Sun 10-Jul-16 12:05:27

Week 29 Just Say No

"The art of leadership is saying no, not saying yes. It is very easy to say yes." - Tony Blair

Learn to evaluate opportunities and say no to those things that aren't important so you can make room for those that are.

Last week's challenge

8FencingWire Sun 10-Jul-16 19:09:28

smile thank you!

Stellar67 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:11:58

Oh dear. I struggle with this.

quirkychick Sun 10-Jul-16 21:13:36

Oh dear, here too! I feel overwhelmed by end of term madness. This coming week includes: dentist appt, 3 hair appts, helping at school, meeting about dd2 (which promises to be good but intense), boiler service, dd1's summer sailing party...

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Mon 11-Jul-16 00:41:44

Whew!

I am very good at this.

I can even do it and people don't even realise I've done it grin

<not being smug, just had many years of practice>

Tip 1: Be alert, (see it coming), head it off at the pass.

Stellar67 Tue 12-Jul-16 09:06:26

Bewitched thanks for the tip. I will attempt to use that!

margaritasbythesea Wed 13-Jul-16 17:03:08

Great tip bewitched.

Thanks Nightwanderer.

NightWanderer Thu 14-Jul-16 07:14:19

I'm useless. I am trying to clean out the spare room for my parents visit and there is a huge TV and small sofa that my neighbour gave me when she moved away. I really don't have the space for them but feel bad throwing them out. I just just do it, shouldn't I?

DrDiva Fri 15-Jul-16 18:07:54

Hello, I lost you all for a bit there!

Hmm. I can do this at work but not at home...

Stellar67 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:48:45

This them out night.

Stellar67 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:48:59

*throw

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Mon 18-Jul-16 00:33:35

Tip 2: Make it sound like 'yes'.

What a genius idea.
That would have been fantastic.
I'm devastated that I can't do it.

Tip 3: Mary Poppins it; never apologise, and never explain.

wink

NightWanderer Mon 18-Jul-16 08:00:27

"I wish I could, but I don't want to" - Phoebe from Friends

My parents will be visiting soon, so I will work on this. It's especially hard with the kids.

Anyway, I posted next week's challenge. I have to admit I have gone through phases where I seem to exist on toast so this is a good one for me.

NightWanderer Mon 18-Jul-16 08:06:32

Actually I decided that the sofa and TV fit alright but the Ikea Poang armchair is taking up so much room, so that has gone instead, and a broken coffee table. I'm in the middle of a huge clear out before my parents visit later this week.

Summer holidays start this week too, so it will be a good time to practise saying "no".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now