Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rectocele repair

(8 Posts)
Mamabear14 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:17:15

I have just got my date for my rectocele surgery. They are doing a trans anal repair. However, I am due to go on holiday 9 days later, am I being ridiculous in thinking I'll be fine or shall I defer til I get back? I had gallbladder surgery a few years ago and was driving 10 days later, but I'm not sure on the recovery for this.

CoconuttyOil Wed 06-Jul-16 22:15:15

I'm currently hoping to have (a different) rectocele repair surgery later in year. Saw surgeon last week and he advised 4-6 weeks off work and to wait until after my holiday before contemplating surgery. Usual advice is not to lift more than a kettle for 6 weeks post op.

CoconuttyOil Wed 06-Jul-16 22:16:08

I'd ask your surgeon to advise in your specific case based on the type of surgery planned.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 06-Jul-16 22:18:53

I'd defer, it's major surgery and you need to take it very easy for a few weeks afterwards. I couldn't sit comfortably for any length of time for a few weeks after mine and had 7 weeks off my office job.

CoconuttyOil Wed 06-Jul-16 22:22:20

WhoKnows did your surgeon sign you off initially and then GP continue until you were able to sit comfortably? Also, how soon were you able to drive? I want mine fixed but also slightly panicking about the recovery!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 06-Jul-16 22:32:45

I can't remember exactly, it was a few years ago. I think I was signed off for 6 weeks for both driving and work when I was discharged, I don't remember seeing the GP. I didn't drive till I went back to work as I had no real need to, but could have probably driven after 4 weeks.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 06-Jul-16 22:34:44

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I'm not sure about legalities/insurance if I'd driven before 6 weeks was up, but didn't need to so didn't really look into it all.

Mamabear14 Thu 07-Jul-16 05:50:00

I have deferred, I think I was just wishful thinking it would be OK, I tend to push myself quite quickly but I know I have to take it easy. Difficult with 3 kids though!
My surgeon made it sound easy and said 'oh I tell people to have a week or 2 off work' which made me think recovery could be easier, but then everything I have read says weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now